Sign in to follow this  
Pixelatednoise

New Mac Pro, redshift/octane for Mac

Well, the new node editor is here for Redshift, but not the Metal version yet.

It looks like Otoy is beating Redshift to the punch:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2020/01/sneak-peek-octane-x/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cgchannel%2FnHpU+%28CG+Channel+-+Entertainment+Production+Art%29

"The new Mac Pro itself – buyers of which are due to get a free licence of the Octane X Enterprise Edition – shipped in December."

Nice of them to give a free year.  I suspect Apple are subsidising this and probably paying for development / providing Metal coders. 

Redshift are being more cagey.  I have asked a few times.  It's pretty unfair to not keep people updated when it's no secret and has been official announced.   Just need to know if it's something I can plan into projects in the future.

I've just bought my Mac Pro ( I have a few PCs so will use them as render nodes probably when I can get my head around the licensing for C4D, Redshift and Octane)  - But damn I am looking forward to using a Mac again.  

Giving more detailed information on planned and ongoing development has its pitfalls. I don't have any idea about the state of development for Redshift, but from several decades of experience with software development i can tell you that well layed plans are more often then not overturned on short notice, especially if you work with brand new technology and tools and are dependent on other vendors.

What help would it be to give a glimps on something working with the implication that it might be ready in a month, only to retract that a week later to tell people it will be at least two, maybe four. That does not help the customer with any kind of short to mid term planning and it does not help more with long term planning than the simple information that it is in the works. I imagine you would be pretty unhappy with RS if they would say its ready in a month, you invest several 10K in MacPro hardware, only to be told that this investment might start making money in 1/4 of a year earliest.

Sure but why announcing it at the Apple event and committing  a release date (“end of 2019”) the ? Apple needed this announcement more than MAXON I guess...Hope their programmers are helping the RS guys as much as they seem to help Otoy. 

I don't know what's going on over at Redshift, but this past year has been a pretty substantial disappointment for me and I will not renew my maintenance until either they release a beta of Redshift for Metal or bring Redshift 3.0 out of beta.

Of course, for the regular RS fanboys, they can do no wrong, but I can tell there is a lot of users who aren't quite as giddy. They heavily hinted at a RS 3 release in Q4 2018 back at Siggraph 2018. A year and a half and a MAXON acquisition later RS 3 is still in beta with no real idea of when it will be considered "production ready" although according to a recent GreyscaleGorilla blog, they certainly don't feel that the current beta is.

I suspect that despite claiming complete autonomy from MAXON, a lot of their behind-the-scenes efforts have been diverted into either a future full integration of RS into C4D or some other MAXON-related endeavor.  Of course I'm just speculating, but I really don't see how else to explain their consistent delays and evasive communication when it comes to a release schedule. 

I'm still optimistic about RS getting their stuff together soon, but right about now Octane is starting to look pretty interesting.

OToy aren’t exactly known for keeping on schedule...

rs3 beta is great and the c4d nodes system is great now.   I’m using it happily for local work but anything  I have to renderfarm is still on RS2

I wonder will it ever be released. Yeah, Apple push them hard, but my doubt is... pretty high 😄

We saw demos on iMac in 2015 on OpenCL, and what? We even saw Octane on iPhone, never came out

I feel Apple also is VERY wrong in their update policy, they push you to raw, unreliable technology which isn't even supported by most vendors! Ok, I'm glad there's Metal, but you put OpenGL intro trash IMMEDIATELY?! Are you mad? Tons of software used it for 25 years, and now you dump it all? Trully "Think different" approach.

And what about software support? You make programs obsolete in the same rate as on iOS, but Mac ISN'T an iPhone! It's a tool. Freaking Catalina is a panicle of this madness, when you can't use even AE 2018, so the ONLY way is to upgrade. But what if I work on CS6? And I do! What if I make projects for Videohive and NEED CS6 to be supported? What if my software haven't received an update? You now call it "obsolete" and that's it?

How to name this?

So, despite I was a huge Mac fan, now they disgust me. High Sierra is the last "adequate" MacOS. And for sure, Octane X will only support f*** Catalina! But the sadder thing is they push us to Metal, not Vulkan, so I feel there won't be Octane/RS for Windows+AMD. And this is really sad

On 1/11/2020 at 6:53 PM, Intenditore said:

Ok, I'm glad there's Metal, but you put OpenGL intro trash IMMEDIATELY?! Are you mad? Tons of software used it for 25 years, and now you dump it all? Trully "Think different" approach.

Just to be clear, OpenGL isn't trashed. It is still there (as is OpenCL 1.2), and will be for the foreseeable future. Apple have just said that it is deprecated, and will eventually disappear (after some years, in some future version of the OS). But that is what the whole industry is saying.