Sign in to follow this  
Pixelatednoise

New Mac Pro, redshift/octane for Mac

I have been holding out waiting FOREVER for the Mac Pro update and seems like this December it will finally be available for purchase. Looking to get into the eGPU game and heard the announcement back in June that redshift and octane will run on AMD GPUs with Metal. Since then I haven't heard anything from MAXON, redshift, otoy or apple about updates or expected release dates for these AMD comparable GPU renderers. Anyone heard anything?

Octane have a history of failing to deliver a non-cuda version for macs, they might get it this time on metal but I wouldn't bank on it.

Red shift seems a better bet, seeing as they are now owned by MAXON, they will have the resources & the incentive to do it (More of Cinema's base are Mac users vs most of their rivals like Maya & Max).

Personally, I wouldn't even consider crippling myself with the mac platform if 3D is my main focus, rather than a side one but if you must stay mac, I think Redshift is more likely to get converted to metal first & if Cinema is your main app, it's also likely to get more tightly integrated to Cinema than any other 3rd party engine.

I'll move over to Redshift if MAXON roll it into the main C4D package, otherwise I can make do with the engines I have.

I’m sure MAXON is tied by an NDA. Same for otoy, who usually shares their progress.

i asked a similar question a few months ago and never got an answer from MAXON people. 

On the Redshift forums there have been recent allusions to the progress on the Metal port. They seem to indicate the solid progress is being made, and that Redshift is happy that MAXON has been able to lean on Apple to provide support to the devs. Some indications seem to be that Apple has been doing a lot of work on Metal to enable the support GPU renderers need. This is the optimistic take.

The pessimistic take is that it may be a way off; they are unwilling to provide timelines or render speed evaluations. So the Apple claim (when they intro'ed the Mac Pro) that GPU render support would be there by the end of the year may be missed. If they were close to shipping I would guess that there might be beta user images available. On the other hand, Apple likes to play things close to the vest, and they may be gearing up for a splash when the Mac Pro ships. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, NWoolridge said:

On the Redshift forums there have been recent allusions to the progress on the Metal port. They seem to indicate the solid progress is being made, and that Redshift is happy that MAXON has been able to lean on Apple to provide support to the devs. Some indications seem to be that Apple has been doing a lot of work on Metal to enable the support GPU renderers need. This is the optimistic take.

The pessimistic take is that it may be a way off; they are unwilling to provide timelines or render speed evaluations. So the Apple claim (when they intro'ed the Mac Pro) that GPU render support would be there by the end of the year may be missed. If they were close to shipping I would guess that there might be beta user images available. On the other hand, Apple likes to play things close to the vest, and they may be gearing up for a splash when the Mac Pro ships. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yea... I suspect Redshift and Octane haven't released anything until the Mac Pro is released. There definitely seems to be some partnership/joint effort to get redshift and octane on Metal. If so then apple would want to wait until the Mac Pro is ready to launch before allowing them to release the AMD versions. Apple wouldn't want to release these AMD GPU renderers before the Mac Pro as then it could effect Mac Pro sales. (some purchasing an iMac and use a eGPU instead or even their existing setup with an eGPU) I would suspect we haven't heard anything because of Apple and the AMD versions of the renderers might not be released until after the launch of the Mac Pro. Then again, it could be the other way around.... Maybe they are holding out on the Mac Pro release until the GPU renderers are finalized and its a launch that allows pros from day one to get up and running. I did read on apple insider that the Mac Pro will be released December. Maybe we'll hear some news then...

We’ll soon know I guess. The Mac Pro is coming out in December. A pro machine of this caliber without strong motion graphics and GPU rendering  capabilities would be quite a joke...

So I am fairly sure there was a large financial incentive made by Apple for Octane / Redshift / MAXON and all the other partners like Avid / Blackmagic Unity and Unreal shown at the launch and I am sure that was dependent on getting the release date. The industry support is there and Metal2 is mature enough to take on CUDA

what is interesting is "The final and full commercial release of Octane X Enterprise Edition will be offered as a free license to customers purchasing the new Mac Pro."
    from - https://home.otoy.com/octane-x-wwdc2019/.  - Which is pretty damn cool. 

Personally I am running a hackintosh with a 1080ti at the moment but will  be buying one of these with a Duo card -  I can't abide using windows day to day and while I have a workstation for 3d Studio Max thats all I use it for. 

I do wonder is you can just stick an AMD GPU in there like a Radeon VII as that would still be pretty powerful for a lot of used and a lot better than the Stick 580x which I can only presume is there for Audio guys that don't need Any Graphic ommph....

And hopefully we will get GPU updates every year or so from AMD.  That was the biggest mistake with the Cylinder.  Those GPUs should have been replaceable and they should have updated them!  Would still be a valid machine for a lot of people if they did that.  Hell even added thunderbolt 3 and external GPUs.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, prowl said:

So I am fairly sure there was a large financial incentive made by Apple for Octane / Redshift / MAXON and all the other partners like Avid / Blackmagic Unity and Unreal shown at the launch and I am sure that was dependent on getting the release date. The industry support is there and Metal2 is mature enough to take on CUDA

what is interesting is "The final and full commercial release of Octane X Enterprise Edition will be offered as a free license to customers purchasing the new Mac Pro."
    from - https://home.otoy.com/octane-x-wwdc2019/.  - Which is pretty damn cool. 

Personally I am running a hackintosh with a 1080ti at the moment but will  be buying one of these with a Duo card -  I can't abide using windows day to day and while I have a workstation for 3d Studio Max thats all I use it for. 

I do wonder is you can just stick an AMD GPU in there like a Radeon VII as that would still be pretty powerful for a lot of used and a lot better than the Stick 580x which I can only presume is there for Audio guys that don't need Any Graphic ommph....

And hopefully we will get GPU updates every year or so from AMD.  That was the biggest mistake with the Cylinder.  Those GPUs should have been replaceable and they should have updated them!  Would still be a valid machine for a lot of people if they did that.  Hell even added thunderbolt 3 and external GPUs.

I'm running a mid 2010 Mac Pro that I started to put in 2 1080ti's with external PSU. Would work fine until their was an os update and everything would break. I'd have to uninstall GPUs add the old one in and wait for the updated drivers to be released. HUGE pain to do. Then with Mojave and the lack of NVIDIA driver support I abandoned it all together. For awhile I was. about to abandon Mac until they announced the updated mac pro with redshift and octane renderers supporting AMD so I've been holding out... thank god its not my breath... its been way too long working off a 10 year old machine.

I would be unsurprised if both Redshift in C4D using C4D's new node editor and the Metal version of Redshift come out on the same date or close to it.

There is a similar thread on Cgtalk. 
    Seems like Apple is deeply involved in the development, which makes sense if they want their 12K$ new Mac to be credible towards pros.