Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

Loft: make more regular

In the attached object, is it possible to get the LOFT generator to create more-vertical divisions?  Although the two splines are duplicates, the Lofting math doesn't result in strictly vertical divisions, which causes issues later in the modeling process.

Ideally, all the verticals would be strictly vertical, AND there would direction connections between the extended nodes at the top of the "crown"  (it's not a crown) and the corresponding node at the base.  The duplicate was only moved vertically, not rotated, so nodes should line up perfectly.  I've messed about with the various subdivisions available and none seem to work, but there're many permutations.

Crown.png

EXP- ring template.c4d

No, that's not how a loft works. Unlike Sweeps, the topology of lofts is entirely independent from, and unrelated to the splines within it. All topology options are in the loft object itself, including segmentation in both directions, which needs to be set one higher than the target amount (a weird quirk of that object within Cinema (now fixed in R21). If precise control over topology is the main priority here I would go as far as to suggest that a loft is not the best tool for making this form; it can be made faster, and as regular as you need with poly modelling (and optionally rotational symmetry).

CBR

• Topic Author
  • The reason I was using generators was so that, down the road, I could use an Array generator to create the final geometry (and, y'know, self-education).

When I used Sweep with 2 rails, I could get close, but the resulting frozen geometry did not match up at the edges, in a 5-way duplication.  Very frustrating.

I could just polygonal model it, but I wanted to stay flexible as long as possible.  My last modeler wasn't parametric at all and I need to grok the workflow.

I think there isn´t a reason why not to use for instance...B-Spline profile splines...in this case

b_spline_LOFT.thumb.png.9e6ac54d7db36989add8aa097564f9d4.png

5 hours ago, bezo said:

I think there isn´t a reason why not to use for instance...

Yeah I'm not saying it's not possible to get close with the loft, just that the whole way that generator works is not particularly conducive to the task at hand. For example here is a fully parametric setup for that shape using a primitive with slice, an array and a correction deformer. Obviously you wouldn't use this for the whole model (indeed I'd venture you would also have to make your loft editable at some point in the process), but as far as flexible starting points with even geo go, for me this is winning over the loft approach... 

image.thumb.png.12be89e96b98fd092a1b6bceb2263baf.png

CBR

Based on subdivision I was think it´s just template for later SDS.