Sign in to follow this  
mimito

how to make a falling tree animation

Hi

Your going to need to give a bit more details on what type of falling tree?  Do you want a tree that  breaks in half and falls, or a tree that falls from the roots?  Do you need the branches to be dynamic and respond to wind, and the ground?

Dan

• Topic Author
  • falling from the roots , no breaking , i just the dynamics of the tree and it to not fall through the floor like the one in this video 2:38

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjue5iua74zrena/Out_V_02.mp4?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR0JATM5E3tT0L7YSF_iNuxMT8aBRoqz5JhVK7ifu_lbEKkhJ7SCA5Khnm8

For realistic tree fall your need a Tree, Ground, softbody dynamics, and Collision tag for the Ground.

Use Soft body dynamics tag on the tree, and  make a vertex map by using the (Set Vertex weight from the Select menu.)  Set that to 100%  You can put this map into the Mass map slot of the soft body settings.  Add a wind effector from the (Simulate/Particals menu).  Drive the wind speed up.  You need a ground so make a ground and add a collision tag to the ground geometry.  Now you need to select the vertex tag and paint either Absolute to make that area more dynamic, or subtract to remove it, you can also floor fill all or a selection of polys.  If you for instance want the tree to fall but not move from roots then select the bottom ring of polygons at the root of the tree and click on apply to selected in subtract mode.    Your need to also tweak the soft body settings such as Shape Conservation settings.  The result would be that the tree falls, and the branches flex as they hit the floor.  Your need to also adjust the shape type for both the collision tag and soft body dynamics, this is the collisions tab of each tag.  This will effect how the dynamics sees the shape and its response.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • this is really complicated , can i send you the file and you make a simple one ?

• Topic Author
  • plus with the sofdynamics the timeline almost freezes !

• Topic Author
  • i was thinking of using splines with dynamic tag and mesh inside the tree with the spline as a cage but it didnt work very good with the ground

20 hours ago, mimito said:

this is really complicated , can i send you the file and you make a simple one ?

Here is a quick set up.  The time consuming bit it setting the dynamics settings right, and for that your need to consult the manual.

Dan

*file deleted*

You can also try rigging the tree and use dynamic joints, but your wont get the collisions with ground you desire.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • this is not exactly what im looking for to be honest 😞 

2 hours ago, mimito said:

this is not exactly what im looking for to be honest 😞 

I think you must mean ' thank you @Rectro for the all the effort you have made on my behalf'.

CBR

6 hours ago, mimito said:

plus with the sofdynamics the timeline almost freezes !

You need to cache dynamics to get it running at higher frame rates.

5 hours ago, mimito said:

this is not exactly what im looking for to be honest 😞 

This was meant to be a very simplistic example of the set up.  There are several things to take into account here.  1: the scale of the object is very important, in my quick scene the simplistic tree is very large, too large, not worth trying to tame the dynamics on that object. 2: Soft body and rigid  respond better with collisions than other methods in C4D.  Dynamic joints only has an approximated collision to other objects, more like a force field, this wont take into account the branches, but you didn't say what kind of tree it was?  Jiggle deformer does not respond to collisions, but with the collision deform it does but it can get messy as in, very finicky to get the desired results. 

6 hours ago, mimito said:

this is really complicated , can i send you the file and you make a simple one ?

I wish dynamics where more simple but its not the case when the surface has to be set up to have the attributes that respond to the type of objects your after.  An alternative is to use hair then put it into a Object deformer, but as I said collisions are not great.

FwjZM7X.gif

Lets spline points less flexible dynamics, more rigid.