Sign in to follow this  
Spencer Fanuka

Smoothing out a swept spline

Hey all,

I'm trying to create smooth edges between the points on a sweeped spline, but can't seem to get it. I've tried subdivision surface, and also smoothin interpolating the points, but can't seem to get it right. Below you can see the chair I'm trying to model, and a picture of my CInema4D scene.

Thanks,

Spencer

_private_var_mobile_Containers_Data_Application_6022D809-0ED0-4F94-A2E3-AB8A00A285D8_tmp_59F45099-8659-4EDC-9FAC-EE684106E268_Image.jpeg

chair.jpg

I think its the interpolation on your spline rather than the Sweep. Try changing that.

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Freemorpheme said:

I think its the interpolation on your spline rather than the Sweep. Try changing that.

I tried that. Its set to soft interpolation in the picture. 

I'm not sure what soft interpolation is. Cut the offending bit to a new scene and post in in here.

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, Freemorpheme said:

I'm not sure what soft interpolation is. Cut the offending bit to a new scene and post in in here.

Ok. So when I try and copy and past to a new scene, the object doesn't show up. I don't know why. But, soft interporlation is when it has the bezier curve handles on it. As shown below. 

soft inter.jpg

You need to change the interpolation between the points. Select the spline and look at the attribute manager. Having a soft interpolation spline doesn't help when the internal subdivision is too low.

Cinema_4D_3vac2tYL4L.png.2b10a3964f92550f590a3411704661f8.png

If you create path spline from rectangle, simply create base form and then select corner points and use command hard interpolation...

bezier_spline.thumb.png.c50593ceaa99fb324b121d26f766313b.png

points between corner points was created by cut/using knife directly after converting parametric spline to editable. Then only with selection and scale adjusted corner points to needed poaition

• Topic Author
  • 19 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

You need to change the interpolation between the points. Select the spline and look at the attribute manager. Having a soft interpolation spline doesn't help when the internal subdivision is too low.

Cinema_4D_3vac2tYL4L.png.2b10a3964f92550f590a3411704661f8.png

18 minutes ago, bezo said:

If you create path spline from rectangle, simply create base form and then select corner points and use command hard interpolation...

bezier_spline.thumb.png.c50593ceaa99fb324b121d26f766313b.png

points between corner points was created by cut/using knife directly after converting parametric spline to editable. Then only with selection and scale adjusted corner points to needed poaition

Fixed. Thanks for the help.