Sign in to follow this  
Boomba

reduce polygons in model

Hi there, my client wants a car to be animated with a wireframe look, and the meshes of the car models I am finding are very dense. the reduce polygon tool isn't really working great.

is there any other way to get a dense mesh to look more like a uniform grid look? (attached)

Aside from building one from scratch which I don't have the time for.

thanks!

mesh.jpg

Remodelling is usually the only answer in situations like this unless:

a) You have a plugin installed that will do it for you like the recently released Quad remesher by Exoside (paid) or Instant Meshes (free but not optimized at all for this sort of hard surface mesh)

b) you can use the mesh deformer to make your existing polygon nightmare model follow along to a low poly cage you can animate separately.

Otherwise, it's gonna be a rebuild, time for it or not. Or Maybe you have budget to pay someone else to retopo it for you ? Depending on what level of detail you want I could do this most likely in under an hour for example... do PM me if you'd like to discuss that.

CBR

There´s also another options. If you´re on R20 or R21, there´s a plugin from Kent Barber ( @kbar user here on c4dcafe) named Quadriflow. Since it´s still in beta, but looks very promising and example video looks really nice...

https://www.plugins4d.com/quadriflow

And another option is manual retopo. In dependency of simplicity of resulted mesh could be  really fast...

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys, I ended up just building it myself, which is not my strong suit but it was good practice.

thanks!