Sign in to follow this  
hvanderwegen

Blender 2.81 released

Ok, not to end on a negative note with C4D... Blender doesnt have dynamic IK for bones haha 🙂
And it is so muuuch simpler in C4D! If you try to find tutorials on how to make bones behave dynamically in Blender, tutorials are around 20-40 minutes, and there is a reason for that. It is such a combersome process...  

So yeah, not everything is perfect with Blender.

5 hours ago, FLima said:

Ok, not to end on a negative note with C4D... Blender doesnt have dynamic IK for bones haha 🙂
And it is so muuuch simpler in C4D! If you try to find tutorials on how to make bones behave dynamically in Blender, tutorials are around 20-40 minutes, and there is a reason for that. It is such a combersome process...  

So yeah, not everything is perfect with Blender.

16 hours ago, FLima said:

I've been playing with Blender since the announcement that C4D would start on the subscription model... and even though, initially it was a major pain to figure out even the basic things (navigating through a scene, ........

Thanks for your input.

And how do you find Blender's viewport speed with character animation compared to C4D? C4D has always been too slow when animating more than two characters.

5 hours ago, RLaskey said:

Thanks for your input.

And how do you find Blender's viewport speed with character animation compared to C4D? C4D has always been too slow when animating more than two characters.

That is interesting... havent tested yet. Will test it during this week and I will let you know!

10 hours ago, FLima said:

That is interesting... havent tested yet. Will test it during this week and I will let you know!

Thanks. Eagerly waiting!!

13 hours ago, RLaskey said:

Thanks. Eagerly waiting!!

Hello Robert!
I did a quick test with 3 characters I've created from scratch yesterday, they are similar rigs (not super complex) but there are 3 different armatures. 
And the viewport had no problem at all. Note that I am using eevee and a custom toon shading, so not sure that would make it faster, but the viewport had no slowdown.

One thing to note is that, it is a bit clunky the animation process. Having to switch from armatures to start animating them on pose mode, and not being able to animate 3 characters simultaneously withouh having to enter in their own pose mode. So yeah, there is another limitation, compared to C4D, which lets you animate everything, multiple characters at the same time.

Blender feels really good for UV, texture painting and for me, the possibility to have a big control with unrealistic renders and instant preview of what I am working on (which Cinema 4D lacks completely) but it is not a perfect software... it has its own weird limitations, like these multiple armatures animation process, which is a bit weird.

Armature.PNG

@FLima
RE: and not being able to animate 3 characters simultaneously withouh having to enter in their own pose mode.
Have you tried disabling the Edit>Lock Object Modes?

3 hours ago, bentraje said:

@FLima
RE: and not being able to animate 3 characters simultaneously withouh having to enter in their own pose mode.
Have you tried disabling the Edit>Lock Object Modes?

omg.....!
Thank you Bentraje!
I had no idea haha! 
Wonder how it is to work on this way! 
giphy.gif

22 hours ago, FLima said:

Hello Robert!
I did a quick test with 3 characters I've created from scratch yesterday, they are similar rigs (not super complex) but there are 3 different armatures. 
And the viewport had no problem at all. Note that I am using eevee and a custom toon shading, so not sure that would make it faster, but the viewport had no slowdown.

One thing to note is that, it is a bit clunky the animation process. Having to switch from armatures to start animating them on pose mode, and not being able to animate 3 characters simultaneously withouh having to enter in their own pose mode. So yeah, there is another limitation, compared to C4D, which lets you animate everything, multiple characters at the same time.

Blender feels really good for UV, texture painting and for me, the possibility to have a big control with unrealistic renders and instant preview of what I am working on (which Cinema 4D lacks completely) but it is not a perfect software... it has its own weird limitations, like these multiple armatures animation process, which is a bit weird.

Armature.PNG

Thanks for telling us about your experience.I am planning to start learning Blender again after the new year. I have three C4D projects going now but I need to think of a simple Blender project to get me motivated. The C4D viewport slowdown while animating characters has been a big limitation for me and a source of frustration. 

@FLima
I have rigged some Blender models in the past month since client is a Blender user. 
All I can say is Blender should remove the "modes" on rigging/animating. It's annoying. I have a rant on it on the Blender forum, so I made my peace. 
Other than that and mograph, Blender is pretty capable. 

Animation playback in Blender is relatively fast because it uses only one animation data for the whole rig/armature. So it will only load one data for the whole rig rather than several data for the whole rig. That said, it has its own separate API, so it becomes cumbersome not to the end user but to the technical artist (like me). Ugh. 

1 minute ago, bentraje said:

@FLima
I have rigged some Blender models in the past month since client is a Blender user. 
All I can say is Blender should remove the "modes" on rigging/animating. It's annoying. I have a rant on it on the Blender forum, so I made my peace. 
Other than that and mograph, Blender is pretty capable. 

Animation playback in Blender is relatively fast because it uses only one animation data for the whole rig/armature. So it will only load one data for the whole rig rather than several data for the whole rig. That said, it has its own separate API, so it becomes cumbersome not to the end user but to the technical artist (like me). Ugh. 

It is very good to get an inside perspective of the software, from someone who is more experienced with it than me! Thank you
Yeah, I can see that these modes are a bit weird to be honest... but I do like the idea of being able to move the bones of the armature in edit mode sometimes (and even changing their type! Like bendy bones!!) and it doesnt mess up the whole rig..   For some weird reason, I feel that the weight paint and bone structure is more effective in here than in C4D. But I might be wrong? 

But I really, really love C4D's object manager... It feels so more intuitive and well.. mograph 🙂
But I think, having a different option is always good for some specific things.