Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

Unweighted Joint ?

How does one create a Bone that has zero effect on the mesh?

In this case, I want an intermediary bone, much like you sometimes need nulls to make a mechanical rig convenient, for my Turkey mesh, the "shoulder" bone that connects the upper wing bone to the 'spine'.  While I don't strictly need this bone, it is conceptually simple and I think will ease positioning the wings.  OTOH, although I've tried zeroing out the weight map with the Weight Tool (sheesh, first use was not promising) the shoulder bone is still affecting the main body of the turkey, and I really only need it as a pivot for the wing bones.

I'm probably misusing the Weight Tool, but there's two points that are being affected by the LeftShoulder bone, one reasonably close, and one confusingly far away, as indicated in the attached image.  Am I right in thinking that Weights are on a point-by-point basis?

weights.png

Turkey_16.c4d

Edited by Cerbera
Replaced deprecated keyword - re-titled for clarity. Bones no longer exist in Cinema 4D !

Yes, weights are by point and joint. That tail point should not be affected by a shoulder joint.

You say "weight tool" but did you try the Weight Manager to check your weights per joint? There are numerous functions to give you an overview of weight values.

• Topic Author
  • Got it:  the Bone under examination wasn't the problem, the children of that bone were the issue (although why they were weighted so far away is a bit of a question).

A cool factoid I learned was the use of the Weight Expression tag's Attribute Mgr to highlight the weight map for each individual bone, very helpful.

If anybody dl'd the file, the problem Bone was LEFT/LLower.   --I'm sure there're more issues.

Once I got there I learned about the very existance of the Weight Manager......

Edited by jericsynrgy
    forgot to post

8 hours ago, jericsynrgy said:

Once I got there I learned about the very existance of the Weight Manager......

Just checking you know you can get to that by shift+d-clicking the weight tag...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Now I do.    👍

.... but can I remember it?  😢

(I'm assuming that's a general "show tag attributes" method.)