Sign in to follow this  
mandarcy

Smooth Animation

Hello,

I'm just after a bit of advice or tips on how to make an animation smoother. I have a very simple animation of a dart moving in a straight line. I set a keyframe at frame 0, then at frame 350  I set another keyframe along the axis where I wanted the dart to end up at. On playback the motion isn't smooth, it actually looks like the dart skips a few frames as it moves along. How do I combat this? many thanks.

Pls upload scene file.

CBR

It's Hard to tell without the scene file, but you can select all the key frames and change them to liner interpolations.

Also 350 frames sound like a lot of frames unless the dart is travelling a very long distance.

Yeah. I'm confused as to why you need three keyframes for this.

• Topic Author
  • Hi, I've only used two keyframes, one at the start point and one at the end. It isn't travelling a long distance, probably about three times its length but I assumed more keyframes would mean it would be more smooth in the final animation. I'm obviously not understanding animation properly lol. So far I've only been learning how to model so only just starting on animating, but these are the basics I'm trying to learn.

24 minutes ago, mandarcy said:

Hi, I've only used two keyframes, one at the start point and one at the end. It isn't travelling a long distance, probably about three times its length but I assumed more keyframes would mean it would be more smooth in the final animation. I'm obviously not understanding animation properly lol. So far I've only been learning how to model so only just starting on animating, but these are the basics I'm trying to learn.

Ok, don't worry you are not the only one that found the principles of animations confusing. For your dart to travel say five meters at 30-fps you only probably need; 6, 15 or 30 frames max unless you want to shoot it in slow-motion. You also need to have the interpolations as linear.

l am not sure what you mean by smooth animations? but that should do it. There are of course other things you can add to the animations to make it look realistic or cartoon like but at this stage that will probably do.

Here is a quick example of six frames at 30-fps animation:

DART_TARGET.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Aah Yes I should have said I do want it to look slow motion, sorry I completely forgot that important bit of information  🙄 I tried cutting the frames down and it flew past to fast. I want it to be nice and slow so that details can be seen you see. By the way, I can't put up a scene file as its for a product that is not released yet so I'm not allowed.

2 hours ago, mandarcy said:

I assumed more keyframes would mean it would be more smooth in the final animation. I'm obviously not understanding animation properly lol. 

Reading your previous post i realised why you probably got  confused with amount of key-frames increase. In 2D animation you will have 25 or 24 fps so you will start with blocking the extreme poses first six or twelve frames of drawings and in order to smooth the animations you will add the in-between drawings.

in between.jpeg

1 hour ago, mandarcy said:

I can't put up a scene file as its for a product that is not released yet so I'm not allowed.

You can always replace the product with another object and leave the animations only?

why not align to spline and animate that ?