Sign in to follow this  
MikeA

Why two file paths to libraries? Unify?

Seeking help from those who understand how this stuff works in Windows 10... : )

I'm often swapping from my studio workstation to my laptop. So, for quite some time I've been using a set up - which I've applied to various software - where I've created directories on a sync'd dropbox to store 'add in' type files - eg; plugins, scripts, libraries etc. These folders are connected back to the main program folders with symbolic links. It takes a bit of set up, but it's generally worked very well for me. Whichever machine I'm on I can update libraries, scripts, plugins etc and these will be available to both machines as I'm referencing exactly the same file.

My question is this: why are there two file paths with similar content- eg a 'library' folder in this case?

C:\Program Files\MAXON Cinema 4D R21\library

and

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\MAXON\MAXON Cinema 4D R21_XXXXXXXX\library

Could I symlink both of these to a single 'library' folder on Dropbox?  Or do they need to be kept separate? Why?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike A.

The folder in the installation directory should only ever be modified by certified installers. Only the folder in the prefs is allowed to be modified by the user. Windows rules for this are getting ever tighter and it can happen that write operations into the program branch will be redirected and lead to inconsistencies. 
In the end the two exist because Microsoft demands it.

• Topic Author
  • OK - that's interesting and good to know. I consider myself warned : )  Having said that, I've been fiddling around in installation directories since about 1990... LOL!

It really ******* me off when Microsoft tells me what I can and can't do with my own computer. Maybe I should be a Linux guy : )  ...or a certified installer... Ha!

So - in practical terms, my guess is - yes, I could probably symlink them both to the same folder...

????