Sign in to follow this  
Spencer Fanuka

SDS modeling headphones

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to model some headphones, and thought SDS would be the way to go. First time using SDS modeling, and I'm having a lot of trouble with the top part of the headset, and the part of the headset that separates from one shape into two different paths (shown in the first picture). Any tips, videos or anything of the sort would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Spencer

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1454 234.png

Don't worry - I can show you the way to go here. SDS would be a totally fine way to make these, though some bits could be done hard surface...

I think regardless I'd still do it all Mid-poly SDS, as there are quite a few curvy bits and more organic parts.

CBR

If you start the headphone bits in a side view with a plane, with this sort of subdivision, you'll be off to a good start...

image.png

Next step would be to make that editable, delete one side of it, and establish symmetry, like so...

image.png

Notice I have then selected the edges on the left, rotated them to match the reference, and also added the curvature at the top.

Here's how we'd handle the corner with all the quads...

image.png

CBR

This should be your result when you have completed the Primary loop...

Cans primary loop complete.jpg

I'm probably using slightly too many segments around that rim (which I did with poly pen btw) but this is OK because it matches the polygon density we need further up the band to make sure we can cut in the rectangular hole. Then we can ctrl drag the whole left side out, move that back in space, and start to line up with reference in both directions... When we've done that we can add 2 control loops either side to sharpen it up under SDS like so...

2.jpg

Can you see where to go from here ? If not just ask. But I will say this, build this part as a single mesh, but the head strap top band, and actual ear canisters, and their pads all as separate models.

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
added info... pls refresh page

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

This should be your result when you have completed the Primary loop...

Can you see where to go from here ? If not just ask. but I will say this, build this part as a single mesh, but the headstrap top band, and actual ear cannisters, and their pads all as separate models.

CBR

Thanks. Working on it. Making progress. Two problems though. One, I cannot get the points to connect properly where the symmetry meet each other. Even with the anable axis tool, it doesn't seem to connect properly. Also, my subdivision is messed up at the end of the symmetry. Pictures provided below.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 5.00.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 5.03.04 PM.png

I can talk you through it - Skype me if you like...

CBR

FWIW, the kind of errors you are seeing in your mesh are often (but not always) due to excess geometry INSIDE the mesh.  They can be hard/tricky to ferret out.  For instance, a rectangular face INSIDE two meeting tunnels, or duplicate points.  Patience is your friend in finding these little buggers.