Sign in to follow this  
Spencer Fanuka

Reliability of the mesh checker

Hey Guys, 

I was wondering why the mesh checker wasn't picking up on this modeling error. I have an N-gon here, correct? Anyways, I was wondering how reliable the mesh checker is.

Thanks,

Spencer

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 9.50.06 PM.png

N-Gons are nothing wrong, why should Meshchecker warn about them? You can remove them at any time.

Indeed. That is one thing mesh checker does not warn about. However you can see ngons in your scene via the Structure Manager in ngon mode or in the HUD. Ngons might not be technically wrong, or cause program errors (like back in the days of the first 3D renderers but they are still bad technique / modelling errors you shouldn't be handing clients, and so I continue to campaign for the Mesh Checker to also highlight them in future versions 🙂 I think it should show triangles too !

CBR

I could not disagree more. For hard surface modelling n-gons are a huge help and time saver.

Different methods are good for different goals. If you use n-gons for animated charachters you are doing it wrong. If you use tris to model machine parts and houses you are doing it wrong.