Sign in to follow this  
SwoopNebula

Getting motion data w/o mixamo?

Hey guys,

I know Mixamo makes it pretty simple in the way that it allows you to auto-rig and add motion data from there catalogs.

Is there any other way to import motion data that would be somewhat simple? or any other websites out there like mixamo?

Not really. It seems to me that Mixamo is there to fill what was a clear gap in that market - ie the people that didn't have studios, and expensive software, and hundreds of ping pong balls attached to leotards (or animation skills), and because Mixamo IS so uniquely simple, AFAIK, nobody really goes anywhere else except if they move up to the next level and record the capture data themselves or get it direct from motion libraries, of which there are a few...

But this is outside my normal AoE so please wait for other input, which may well contradict mine ! And if it does, go with that ! 🙂

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thank you, for that input

As Jay has said Mixamo is about it, but there are other options but when you mention the word "simple" to do what is complex when you go othe routes things get more complicated.  It may be better for you to state why you dont want to go the Mixamo route, and what you are intending on doing that it cant do?  You do have the ability to get Motionbuilder mocap files from other sources that does the same job, all but the joint placement and weighting, there is where your complexity start, weighting and joint placement is a slow process, and your need in most cases a matching T pose rig if not you can choose the Reatargetting route which I find pretty hit n miss as to if it works.

Dan

You also have low-cost solutions like the Kinect to capture your own mocap data. Check out this video: