Sign in to follow this  
tuuluuwag

Inverse Kinematics

Question for the pros regarding setting up an IK Chain for this..

As you can see in the image, I have a static point (ROTATION POINT 1) that will spin around it's axis. This top element will be connected to the long blue arm below, which will be connected to the large blue arm with needles piece as the bottom - which also has a static point (ROTATION POINT 2)

Initially I tried to to rig a chain, but I am unable to rotate the top element (ROTATION POINT 1) once the chain is completed. Surely I am missing a step or two somewhere, and was hoping that someone would be able to help me out in terms of how to make this happen. 

Thank you,

Shawn

C4DWW.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Retitled for accuracy / later search use / moved category

Hi, it's hard to tell from your description, can you please post the file or screen shoot of the ik chain so we can look at it.

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, digitvisions said:

Hi, it's hard to tell from your description, can you please post the file or screen shoot of the ik chain so we can look at it.

Thanks for the response..

I have a copy attached from my dropbox. As I said, I am by no means an expert. So I very well could be missing the obvious! 

Thanks again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m7cnuyhr6siy93/LONG ARMS - NEEDLES ANIMATION.c4d?dl=0

Hi, i looked at your file, and i think you be better to use constraint tags to achieve the realistic mechanical animation of this machine.

you will have to do a bit of work on getting the axis points in the right positions, and the arms will need to be separated to the two parts that they are originally modelled. It's getting late here in the UK. If you have any problems i will do an example for you tomorrow.

• Topic Author
  • Constraints you say.. Ok! I will give that a shot and see what my result is. I appreciate the feedback!

Here is the basic rig it's limited to the positions and length of the arms unless you split the arm into two sections. file too large will send you a link.

Here you go: link

• Topic Author
  • 45 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

Here you go: link

Wow. 

That is amazing.  I am just studying your setup now to make sure I understand this method for the future! 

Massive thanks for the help. Above and beyond!

I had a go using IK

dropbox