BigAl3D

Reflections and Compositing

OK so in my mind, I've read about this workflow over the years. CAn C4D render some sort of UV or Material pass that can be utilized in After Effects, giving me the ability to add and/or change reflections of objects already rendered? I feel there is a plug-in that enables this in AE.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:05 PM, BigAl3D said:

OK so in my mind, I've read about this workflow over the years. CAn C4D render some sort of UV or Material pass that can be utilized in After Effects, giving me the ability to add and/or change reflections of objects already rendered? I feel there is a plug-in that enables this in AE.

First main step is to output the Material Normal pass from C4D. AE is going to use this pass to determine what direction any given surface area is facing.

Then you can use a plugin such as Normality (link below) to pipe in that Normal pass and relight parts of your scene that may need an extra highlight or something like that.

Further, you can output additional passes like Specular, Reflection, etc to ensure the light is affecting your surface in the correct manner.

There are plenty of good tutorials on YouTube for the Normality plugin, so I would suggest starting there!

Good luck!

Normality: http://3dcg.net/ (scroll towards the bottom for free download link)

Starter tutorial: