Sign in to follow this  
Whiteknight

Why aren't these cogwheels turning?

I created a simple Dynamics sample project, having two cogwheels interleaving. Two hinge connectors and a motor are supposed to do the animation.

But instead of the wheels turning around, they shove each other away.

Why is this happening?

Please find my project attached.

Cogwheels turning.c4d

There's quite a lot wrong with that. In the dynamics tags, collision should be Moving Mesh. But that alone won't solve it.
Your centres of rotation are wrong (or just inaccurately set), and the connectors positioning is very odd. You have to build setups with great accuracy and care when dynamics and connectors are involved. Alas I am busy with other work right now, but there are other people here who may have time to advise more specifically  or build you a working version...

CBR

I think your cogs are a bit small for dynamics - the teeth are a comparable size to the collision margin. Dynamic cogs + motor works OK at the default cog size

dynamic cogs.c4d

does it have to be dynamic ? Your cogs work OK with XPresso rotation

2 xp cogs.c4d

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera: What do you mean by "inaccurate"?

The connectors are exactly at the center of the cogwheels:

Connector1.thumb.png.2eb1aa7711f22f7c3d636e64c2693311.pngConnector2.thumb.png.acd1b88d7f9ec1bb2d70375ad06ea57a.png

Cogwheel1.thumb.png.f985aeaa81a53fdfe18dd7d02a075885.pngCogwheel2.thumb.png.effa147abf6a2508e23a75d4ceb01855.png

• Topic Author
  • @jed: Actually, my goal is not to create an animation. I want to check physics on my model so I can see if I made something wrong in the design.

My goal is to animate one object and see how all the other objects in the scene are going to behave. For me, the cogwheel rotation is only a tutorial on my way.

In the end I want to see complex machinery work (or fail). Like in this scene: https://youtu.be/3isQI0nXQRE?t=141

Yeah seems fine in Coordinate Manager. I am referring to this off-axis movement when it's running as just 1 wheel... that is the first time I have seen a connector or motor behave like that...

cog offset.gif

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yes, that's truely odd ...

It's even more strange that the diversion becomes a turmoil when the right cobwheel gets activated:

Dynamics_not_working_properly.gif.ae279098f97683328d74292ee99967bf.gif