Sign in to follow this  
Whiteknight

What's that noise? Why's the flickering?

I'm trying to render the attached animation.

When I do, the result is flickering like a 1920's movie. Moreover, the roughness noise in the desk material's reflection channel is changing from frame to frame, making the desk material look like thousands of tiny ants are marching on it.

What did I do wrong?

(The "Ergebnisse" folder contains a sample rendering.)

1487587309_Cogwheelsfalling.png.633fe5de15a53cc3de64c4e3c1cf6e4e.png

Cogwheels_falling.zip

I think it's down to GI mode. You really want QMC when animating I think. Takes a lot longer, but eliminates flickering in high detail areas. you could also try setting the AA mode to Mitchell, which can be less flickery than the Gauss you have set currently.

You also shouldn't need AO if you are using GI, and I can't see any great reason why GI is needed at all if it's just a table in space.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • A tutorial suggested to always use GI when working with HDRI backgrounds.

Enabling GI keeps me from setting up loads of lights for hours to create a realistic effect.

Here's the difference between a rendering with GI/AO and without (the one with shadows is the one with GI/AO):

CI-AO.gif.e6dc4836bbb00360d67ec979234e0e52.gif

Not all tutorials are created equal 😉

I am not saying it is flat-out wrong to use it, but knowing that you usually need a relatively robust GI solution for non flickery animation, and knowing how long QMC takes to render I imagine that the time it takes to place and setup 2 lights in a scene is several hours less than it is to render with GI - that's all. Couple that with your largely metallic surfaces, which only need the reflections from the HDRI, not its lighting, and seeing as you have no 'room' with which bounced light is important, then the scales start to tip much further away from GI being optimal here.

It is also not really fair to compare  a GI result with the default light - at least get a decent area light or 2 in there with area shadows, which takes seconds to setup...

If you decide GI really is the way to go, QMC will get you flicker-free, but time is the price you pay.

CBR