Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

"Set" of starter materials? Methods?

I often find that when I'm starting a project I'd like to have some standing materials, of various garish colors  (ie, nothing subtle) to just slap on the geometry as I make it.  Bascially a tasteless rainbow, just to keep things straight.

Do people usually handle this by:
making their "New.c4d" screen with such a set of materials, or;

load a premade set in from the Content Browser (about which I am woefully ignorant)?

Otherwise it's a pretty lame waste of time, especially naming the materials.

Tnx

22 minutes ago, jericsynrgy said:

Do people usually handle this by:
making their "New.c4d" screen with such a set of materials

Yip -  that's what I do...

CBR

You could also use the Display Color of your objects instead of a real material. That prevents cluttering the Material Manager with pseudomaterials that you don't even want to use later.

51 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

You could also use the Display Color of your objects instead of a real material. That prevents cluttering the Material Manager with pseudomaterials that you don't even want to use later.

That would be a nice idea if that colour didn't get immediately wiped out by any generator you put it under 😞  It would mean that to use a model with say, symmetry and SDS, and you'd need separate ones of those for every colour in the scene. Whereas with materials you are impervious to this issue.

CBR

14 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That would be a nice idea if that colour didn't get immediately wiped out by any generator you put it under 😞  It would mean that to use a model with say, symmetry and SDS, and you'd need separate ones of those for every colour in the scene. Whereas with materials you are impervious to this issue.

CBR

True, if you want to put several objects under a symmetry or the likes, then Display Color for the subobjects is pointless (unless you switch off the symmetry, then the original colors are used again). One could think this is a conceptual bug, and an option "use subobject display colors" would be needed (esp. since generators don't even have visible parts of their own to color).

Same if you want to color different polygon selections on your poly object differently, that is obviously only possible with textures.

Of course, until you run into these issues, display color is still an option. Some things are only possible with display color: if you set your display color to "automatic" and have a "final" texture in addition, you can switch between the "symbolic" display color and the texture through the viewport options. With just textures, you'd need to script the switch.

Makes one think what'd be more useful: a script to activate the Display Color for each object, and simultaneously select colors for the display in a range that makes the objects well visible (limitations nonwithstanding) - or a script that would create full (but simple) materials for the same purpose, and add a material tag for each object. The latter is a more versatile approach, but it would need a set of rules as we don't want override troubles, or naming conflicts with "final" materials.

I will also suggest it to Maxon that we have a little switch in the display options for stuff next to display color, which says 'propogate' or similar, and thereby applies further up any generator chain. In the case of multiple objects it would be top one at root level that overrides.

CBR