jericsynrgy

Head Joint targeting right angles

I've got a cartoonish turkey character and the 'head joint' is pretty much vertical, but I'd like for the head joint to target a null in front of the turkey, at right angles to the bone.

Simply targeting the head joint at the null would, I believe, point the top of the turkey's head at the target.

So, how does one make a target at right angles to a joint ?

Edited by Cerbera
Keywords corrected again.

Hi

Im not sure I totally understand your problem, maybe you can tell us what the outcome of the finished result is?  When you say "target" are you meaning via Constraints, the Target tag?  I guess what Im asking is why do you want "headbone to target a null in front of the turkey, at right angles to the bone." ?

Dont you just want to have the heaphones stay on the head and move with the head?

Dan

• Topic Author
  • I'm not the headphones guy (that's a different thread):

What I'm trying to do is have the turkey's head track a (null) target that is in FRONT of the turkey, but the layout of the skeleton is such that the head joint (gah!) extends vertically, exiting the top of the  turkey's head, not its beak.  The beak, and the notional front of the turkey's skull, is at right angles to the head joint.

One way around this would be to insert a joint (or a null)  with very little (zero) deforming strength between the neck and head joints, as a child of the neck, and target THAT item at the targeted null.   That seems dumb though.   I get the impression that most animators are keying the head joint rather than using tracking, but still using tracking for eyes.

I've got other issues involving something happening in the neck (I'll probably have to re-skeleton this thing), but I'd like to figure this out too.

Turkey_21.c4d

Hi

1. So Im getting this right you want to rotate the head by using the translated movement of a null like you would to rotate eyes with a eye look at target, only itsfor the head rotation?

• Topic Author
  • ....that's the long way around, but yes: although the target is TRACKED, not connected via constraints except in as much as in some systems "targeting" is considered a constraint.

Like what the Cylinder is doing here, using the TARGET tag.

targeting.c4d

12 hours ago, jericsynrgy said:

I get the impression that most animators are keying the head joint rather than using tracking, but still using tracking for eyes.

Yes,the head joint rotations ; H,B,P is all animators need for animating the characters head.The eyes on the other hand are parented to the head joint so the AIM constraint tag (which is the same as the Target tag) gives the animator the ability to animate the eyes rotation to look to another direction independently from the head joint rotation. In my over twelve years of animating i never came across any other way of head rotation rigging method.

However, you could link the head control x,y,z to the h,b,p of the head joint via Xpresso but this will only  complicate things and could create some lagging/gimbals when animated.