GaryAbrehart

Articulated Truck

I am trying to figure a way of rigging a truck so that it articulates properly when aligned to a spline. Now I can do it parenting the container to the cabin and rotating the container manually when going around bends but I want this to work automatically without me doing any manual stuff.

It need to be exported into something like Unity so I guess I would have to use joints and constraints but I don't think constraints would export into Unity…

Bit stumped on this really so any ideas appreciated 🙂

I think people normally use the DRIVE plugin for this sort of thing. Not sure what that does export-wise though... I suspect you'd have to bake down to keyframes etc...

Here's a video series on sorting the rig out...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Oh cheers m8! I will take a look…

You can get quite realistic semi-truck anim with dynamics. In this file the truck follows a target on a spline using XPresso steering - speed adjusts to keep up. You can keyframe the target to stop at road junction etc. Trailer is connected with ball + socket and 'trails' around corners.

Since a heavy poly dynamic truck runs slow in viewport, my method was to use a dynamic primitive rig and make the poly parts children of the dynamic parts. You can re-use the dynamic rig for other trucks, using transfer tool to move the wheels + suspension to the real wheel locations.

xp truck.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Hi Jed

Thanks for this video too will take a look!