BLSmith

Falling Letters to Spell Word

I've got a toolbox, filled with a bunch of tools, and 9 letters. The goal is the pour the contents of this toolbox out onto the floor, the tools fall anywhere, but the the letters fall into place to spell out a word. I'm having difficulty trying to understand the proper way of doing this.

At first I thought I would be able to keyframe a start/end point for the text dynamics tags, but I appear not to understand how that works at all. Any tips appreciated, thanks! 

Are you saying these items will fall into the toolbox AND the letters will spell a word? Check that, I didn't read your title carefully. Yes, there is a way to do this and I'm trying to remember how. I remember seeing a tutorial with dynamic lotto balls rolling down the tubes, but always ending so you could read the numbers. I'll post back if I find it.

I'd start with them in position, spelling the word, in the tool box, then use positive gravity and various particle forces to float them upwards, then reverse the whole sequence in post to get a final result.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, BigAl3D said:

Are you saying these items will fall into the toolbox AND the letters will spell a word?

The items would fall out of the toolbox and onto the floor. The tools would land where gravity takes them, and the letters would fall into a position that spells out a word. 

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I'd start with them in position, spelling the word, in the tool box, then use negative gravity and various particle forces to float them upwards, then reverse the whole sequence in post to get a final result.

CBR

Here's a 20 second video showing sorta what I'm thinking about: 

Would your idea still apply in this specific situation? Thanks Cerbera! 

8 minutes ago, BLSmith said:

Would your idea still apply in this specific situation? Thanks Cerbera! 

Yes I think so, but it might not be the 'best' way. You'd need to keyframe various forces and constrain your letters with invisible collider geometry so that they go where you want.

So, thinking in reverse, they have to start on the floor in their 'final positions', then get sucked upwards by reverse gravity and sort of funnelled into the box via a virtual tunnel you can make out of colliders. If you use gravity and wind to get in them in and along the tunnel, then the shape of that should lead to an opening just above the toolbox so that the letters can fall out of it into their 'initial' positions within the tray.

This isn't the only way to go though. It's annoying - I cant find the video I saw about 3 years ago that showed another way of doing this that I have a feeling was quicker and easier, but god alone knows what keywords they used - I'm not finding it on YT or Vimeo so far... perhaps someone else knows the one I'm referring to ?

CBR

I don't think this one will help with your scene since there are other items colliding with your letters, but it gives you some ideas. I'm trying an experiment and will post back the results.