Hard surface robot questions

On 12/8/2019 at 5:20 PM, hvanderwegen said:

I would recommend this book:

That is a very good book.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • On 12/8/2019 at 2:49 PM, Cerbera said:

by using edge weighting we can circumvent that

I would probably texture this in Substance - would that rule out using edge weighting?

1 hour ago, Freemorpheme said:

I would probably texture this in Substance - would that rule out using edge weighting?

Not sure TBH, - I don't have that myself so have never tried it...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • On 12/11/2019 at 2:03 PM, Cerbera said:

Not sure TBH

Right, so as to save me the disappointment of edge weighting and finding out later it didn't work, I tried to box model the whole cylinder. I was very proud of myself coming up with a quad method to loop the edges of the curves and to keep the cuts to a confined space and not propagate to the edge of the mesh.

Buuuuut, it turns out there is still some distortion in the cylinder now. Is this unavoidable at this stage? Am I suffering for not simply doubling the vertical cuts in my cylinder when it was still parametric?

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 18.16.12.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 18.18.51.png

Robot41_test7.c4d

Oh, my friend...it's a valiant attempt but it's not quite winning the gold... 🙂 rather a lot of surface deformation there, as we can see if we pop a sculpting shader on it, which shows the curves better than the normal grey...

image.png

image.png

You gotta try the edge weighting in Substance ! It'll probably work !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

not quite winning the gold

😞

OK, back to the drawing board. Was I right in thinking this is a result of not having a dense enough vertical mesh?

4 minutes ago, Freemorpheme said:

Was I right in thinking this is a result of not having a dense enough vertical mesh?

No. It's the result of suddenly doubling the topology density around the corners, and then reverting back to the overall density 1 loop further out..

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

doubling the topology density

Sorry, so if I had had a doubled density mesh from the start, I could have looped the corners and got harder cuts without the deformation?

Yes. If you had double radial segmentation, then the inner extrudes you've done there would be unnecessary.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Look upon my works ye mighty and chuckle...

Here we are at hour 3 million and I have nearly finished it. My next step would be unwrap this whole shebang and then texture, unless anyone has any other workflow advice? I watched that whole Cornelius Dammrich video the other day and he made a whole scene and didnt unwrap a damn thing. He made a robot in about five minutes in Fusion 360 which again makes me wonder why I am struggling with edge loops in C4D for days. But you can put a Melt deformer on this guy and watch him turn quite satisfyingly into a puddle which makes it all worthwhile, maybe.

Robot41_A_0000.jpg

Robot41_A_0001.jpg

Robot41_A_0002.jpg

Robot41_A_0003.jpg