Sign in to follow this  
Freemorpheme

Hard surface robot questions

Hi - I have resurrected an old model to try and sharpen up my skills. It has some indentations in a cylindrical mesh - do you think I should add the floating polys in like so and join them up, or make a cylider and then try and model in the extrusions? Both seem challenging. I'm making the bit down in the hip area.

218189132_ScreenShot2019-12-03at17_32.17copy.thumb.png.3d3dc54c3ae26dd4db0b5e1f95615706.png

If you want to do this with SDS modelling this is the sort of thing I'd be tempted to model flat and then spline wrap into a cylinder...

But if you need really hard corners on those indents, as you say, hard surface would probably be best..

One thing I would say is that patching that in to what you have now is probably not the best way forward, you may get a lot more problems with unevenness in the cylindrical form if you try and do that by hand vs it cutting into existing cylindrical shapes. Also try and keep your cylinder radial loops as evenly spaced as possible around the model to further minimize problems. I did this quick example based off 64 segs and 2 way symmetry.

image.png

CBR

If you did want to do it with SDS, and didn't want silly high segment counts, and didn't need to leave C4D at any point, then this makes a reasonable case for SDS edge weighting, here demoed at 80% on all the corners.

image.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks. And the bit by the hip I was attempting, with the offset polys, would you model that into your cylinder now by moving the existing points, or would that distort the cylinder?

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 09.58.51.png

3 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

would you model that into your cylinder now by moving the existing points, or would that distort the cylinder?

I would add as many horizontal loops as I needed to match the segmentation of what you are trying to patch in and then use the slide tool to move points into place along the surface.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

as many horizontal loops as I needed

I will try this and post back in with my appalling results!

Lols. It'll be alright as long as you have enough vertical loops defining the cylinder...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Like, uh... like this?

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 18.27.17.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 18.27.08.png

43 minutes ago, Freemorpheme said:

Like, uh... like this?

Er... sort of 🙂 If we are going the SDS route, we should be aiming for all the quads and no ngons.

But SDS is quite forgiving, though not so much on a rounded form like this. If we can't win this way, then I suspect my first idea about making it flat, then spline wrapping is probably going to be better.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • There's only one ngon in this, and I can run that out to the bottom edge. I mean, I know it's a horrible mess. Modelling is hard as hell. Can you think why the squares have been rounded off by the SDS even though I filled them with support loops?

13 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

Can you think why the squares have been rounded off by the SDS even though I filled them with support loops?

Yes. Because there is nothing supporting the corners - you have only supported them in one direction. And there is not enough polys to work with to do borrowed edge corner controls. The only way you could fix that without more polys is by SDS edge weighting the corners to something like 80%.

This is what I did in my testings...

1. Flat Plane with helpful amount of segments (I went for 53; ((6 x 8 sections + the diagonals)), so that the top indented parts will be even and match at either end. 

2. Spline wrapped an instance of that (circle as source), and adjusted original's length to scale it to fit that spline.

3. Began my modellings in, thusly, working on the bottom plane, and viewing live results above in the wrapped version...

Robot Wrap 1.jpg

4. Then, put the instance inside an L1 OpenSubDiv SDS, and moved that into a group with the wrap, so it wrapped that instead with double the resolution.

5. Then took an editable copy of that to which I added thickness with extrude, then extruded in the cutout waist bits. 

If we don't apply further subdivision, then this might be OK remaining here as a hard surface like the one on the left below.

Robot Wrap 2.jpg

Or we can use SDS edge weighting and slide some loops about slightly to sharpen corners under 2 further levels of OpenSubDiv OR Catmull Clark SDS like the one on the right...

Either looks OK for me, but will depend on how close you're getting and how sharp you need those corners to be...

Hope that helps...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 10 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Hope that helps...

Thanks. You didnt happen to keep the C4D file, did you? I have remade all that and it is subdividing wildly differently from yours. I am doing something fundamentally wrong. You appear to have virtually no control loops in the two little boxes and they are dividing beautifully. I have a million loops in and they are wrong as balls.