Sign in to follow this  
Jaee

A box breaking through a paper

I am trying to animate a box breaking through a paper in Cinema 4D. Does anyone know how to make it? Thanks,

1529300572_ScreenShot2019-12-05at11_22_10AM.thumb.png.ee7843c68a2f569d53a595356079ddf5.png

I'd give this method a go first...

Could be persuaded to look like paper I guess...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I'd give this method a go first...

Could be persuaded to look like paper I guess...

CBR

Do you know any tutorials of a object ripping through a paper? Thanks,

No.

CBR

I'm generally reluctant to recommend 'cloth' because I know it's likely to lead to days of torment...

but...would inelastic cloth with a tear map work?

Yes, cloth can be a struggle, but it is the fastest way to get tears in stuff.

If it was me, I'd brute force model it into a polygon, get some bend deformers with restriction tags going, and keyframe the whole lot ! 🙂

Just one section setup to curl in the quick example below, but you get the idea hopefully. Much use of set point value in axial and crumple modes combined with posemorphs would enhance that effect I'd imagine, and would lead to quite a papery look, especially if you kept your phong tag angle low and defined some realistic phong breaks...

image.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, MikeA said:

I'm generally reluctant to recommend 'cloth' because I know it's likely to lead to days of torment...

but...would inelastic cloth with a tear map work?

I have tried 'cloth' with a tear map. But, It worked like clothing, not like paper. Please see the attached the working file below.

Box.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, cloth can be a struggle, but it is the fastest way to get tears in stuff.

If it was me, I'd brute force model it into a polygon, get some bend deformers with restriction tags going, and keyframe the whole lot ! 🙂

Just one section setup to curl in the quick example below, but you get the idea hopefully. Much use of set point value in axial and crumple modes combined with posemorphs would enhance that effect I'd imagine, and would lead to quite a papery look, especially if you kept your phong tag angle low and defined some realistic phong breaks...

image.png

CBR

Thanks Cerbera! I like the way you created but I'd like to try it to be more natural by using Cloth.

20 hours ago, Jaee said:

But, It worked like clothing, not like paper.

Yes, that is the main problem you face doing this with cloth. Paper isn't cloth ! There is nothing in Cinema that will behave truly like paper does, hence my preferred manual setup where you can design the topology to get that look.

CBR