Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

Difference in Garment Movements

Hey guys,

I'm using Marvelous Designer and Cinema 4D and Mixamo to combine animation with clothes.

On Marvelous Designer when the animation is done and i review the frames (Example: Frame 40) it looks good and there are no seams or imperfections:

Untitled-5.thumb.jpg.0efc9e0c118bc175b2115f1bedaaeac6.jpg

The very same frame has the clothes behaving differently and appearing with different seams when i import it to C4D and play it. Here is an example of 2 documents in C4D

The first document

Untitled-6.jpg.d36ff6b4cf261302beb5a57cba4e8dec.jpg

The second document

Untitled-7.jpg.5b36bb001cd43b0a95f4de2ae0715007.jpg

All three are happening on frame 40 in the animation, each time it plays it seems it's having a different effect and impact.

How can i preserve the exact same Garment condition from Marvelous Designer without it getting ruined on C4D? Anything i should bake right from the beginning so that it is EXACTLY as the marvelous designer document?

Thanks!

Hi

Check the frame rate o your project against MD.  I found there is a setting in the Alembic that can mess things up called Interpolation.  Its been ages since Iv been through this so give that a try.  My workflow changed with each version of MD more so from v4 onward. Without looking at the complete process and the file its guess work.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • If i bake the garment animation so that it always moves the very same way that doesn't work? And how can i do that? knowing that i have to bake the character's animation AND the clothes Alembic

1 hour ago, AlexisB said:

If i bake the garment animation so that it always moves the very same way that doesn't work? And how can i do that? knowing that i have to bake the character's animation AND the clothes Alembic

You shouldnt have to.  What version of MD are you using, what are your steps.  I will try to run my workflow from memory in case you missed anything.

1: Model, and upload character to Mixamo. 

2: Download T pose and animation fbx from Mixamo.

3: construct the animation with T pose on frame 1using motion clips.

4: take note of project, and render frame rates to make sure they match.

5: export fbx animation from C4D.  Import it back to make sure its playing the same as the one still in scene it was exported from.

6:Import into MD, make clothes.  If the model in C4D is going to have a SDS tag on it apply smooth to model in MD, feature not in older versions.

7: check frame rate in MD that it matches C4Ds.  Simulate cloth, export cloth as Alembic.

8: Import cloth back into C4D, it should play fine with no intersections.

PS: also worth mentioning that you can add skin thickness in MD so its not too close to skin. What can also cause issues is if your model is smooth in MD and not in C4D or vice versa.  Iv just gone through a project from beginning to end in R21, Mixamo, and MD 8 and had no issues with intersections.

• Topic Author
  • "4: take note of project, and render frame rates to make sure they match."

I am working on default values on both MD and C4D, so 30 FPS.. this should work no?

"apply smooth to model in MD"

this one i wasn't familiar with. Yes! I am working on a model that doesn't have SDS, and i'm adding SDS at the very final stage.. Using MD 8

One question though: I added Smooth to the model, but what is the value i should put in order for it to be the exact same as C4D 2/3 ratio?

Untitled-8.thumb.jpg.bbc46d35d9da7bb3db165949a09fa666.jpg

also worth mentioning that you can add skin thickness in MD so its not too close to skin. What can also cause issues is if your model is smooth in MD and not in C4D or vice versa

This might be the issue. It might be a solution now that i added Smooth to model? The thing is i HAVE to add SDS to the model at the final stage otherwise the model will be huge to work with at every step of the way...

When you add 1 level in C4D its the same as 1 level in MD.  Depending how low polygon the mesh is will determined how many levels you need till smooth.  In C4D the Sub D in Editor is what you see in the view port, and the Sub D level Renderer is what will render out.  Match them both to see if the intersection goes away, then for performance bring down the editor level after.

When you use the smooth feature in MD you also need to use a SDS tag to preview the outcome.  If you dont use the Smooth feature in MD you cant expect to use it in C4D and get the same results but normally adding smooth wont be the cause of intersections as it shrinks the mesh a little.  Good idea to make sure the colour of the cloth is different to the character as you may be getting intersection issues in  MD and not know it.  Increase the Skin offset in MD, that should help.

Dan