Sign in to follow this  
Pierre Tessier

Table Cloth Simulation

I'm using the cloth tag for the first time. At seems pretty simple, except for a few adjustments. First, the cloth is always sliding off the table surface. How do you make it stick to the table?  Also, the table surface is completely flat, however, the resulting cloth is bumpy on the surface. Lastly, as you can see, there are some tears in the cloth. How can these things be avoided? Thanks.

Cloth Simulation.png

Making cloth do what you want is a black art sometimes.

Pls upload your file, so we can find the optimal settings for it.

Also good to tell us if you need this for an animation, or just a still frame.

CBR

OK, you've fallen into most of the 'beginner traps' that await when using cloth there 🙂

1. Don't do cloth sims at real-world scale. Do simulations at default scale (average object about 4m wide), then scale down afterwards.

2. Nothing in life has a 100% sharp edge like your table cube. Give that a subtle fillet to add some rounding there. And up segmentation while you're at it.

3. Some of the cloth tag settings were not ideal. Gravity needed lowering, iterations needed upping, flexion and stiffness both needed adjustment.

4. Friction was not high enough on either the table or the cloth.

5. Not enough segmentation in cloth, and what there was was uneven. Cloth sims require almost perfect squares to function properly, not the rectangles you were giving it. This leads to edge bumping.

6. Some of the margins were too high, also giving lumpiness at the edges.

7. You didn't have self-repulsion on, so cloth was passing through itself.

Sort that lot out, add a cloth surface for essential thickness, and turn down SDS to just Level 1 (and don't have that on at all during simulation), and you get something like this...

image.png

Here's my file. This sim will take a bit of time, so I suggest you cache it (cache tab of cloth tag) and go make a cup of coffee whilst it's calculating.

Table Cloth CBR.c4d

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thanks CBR, extremely helpful. I spent some time yesterday trying to find good documentation on this subject, but to no avail. Where did you get you information from?

2 hours ago, Pierre Tessier said:

Where did you get your information from?

Very difficult to say, other than via 10 years working with the program, and watching thousands of tutorials over the years...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

I must say sometimes I find the the software to be not so intuitive and user friendly. For example, with the Cloth tag, there should be presets for table cloth, flag, clothings, etc.  There are settings for stuff I'm sure no one ever uses. Sometimes less is more. Don't you find?

4 hours ago, Pierre Tessier said:

I must say sometimes I find the the software to be not so intuitive and user friendly. For example, with the Cloth tag, there should be presets for table cloth, flag, clothings, etc.  There are settings for stuff I'm sure no one ever uses. Sometimes less is more. Don't you find?

No I have to disagree with you there. Cloth simulation is a very complex thing, and Cinema does remarkably well to condense control of it down a few key parameters. Once you understand what they do, they become invaluable. Not one of those is useless - and if people don't use them it is only because they don't know how to or that they need to !

I don't see how presets here could work - after all a table cloth could be made of anything, from a thin gossamer gauze to a thick blanket. Likewise a flag. Clothes are not really Cinema's forte, and even though we have a few basic tools to help with those, that is kind outside the scope of its use really. Anyone serious about doing that uses Marvellous Designer, which is about the best cloth sim available and can handle much more complex simulations / is focused much more on clothing and characters. It is correspondingly much harder to use !

CBR