Sign in to follow this  
Chuckybear

New build, slow viewport

I Just built a fast machine i-9 9900k, GTX 2080ti, 128gb RAM. I'm running R21 and octane/redshift. When I set up a simple animation with about 20 soft body colliders I get a serious 3 second lag in the live viewer window making it difficult to see what my animation looks like in real time.  I tried messing around with open GL but there isn't really an on and off setting anymore. and yes I have paused the renderer button in Octane. Also when I open up task manager and hit the play button in C4D It shows my CPU usage at around 6% and my GPU at about 2%, C4D is hardly using any of the computing power.. any thoughts on how to get the most out of my machine and to get smooth animations in the viewport for pre-viz? I linked a video of the animation for reference on what I'm doing

The dynamics itself will probably be the bottle neck here, as that (I think) remains a single core process. You should be able to get round that by caching it though...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, Chuckybear said:

On 12/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, Cerbera said:

The dynamics itself will probably be the bottle neck here, as that (I think) remains a single core process. You should be able to get round that by caching it though...

CBR

Thank you, I didn't know that I could do that, I will definitely look into that but I don't think that's it. I tried doing a boole on a simple model today and the viewport was lagging a lot, somethings up but I'm not sure where to pin it.

Quite a few operations like Bool or simulations do not support multiple cores.

• Topic Author
  • On 12/12/2019 at 1:20 AM, srek said:

Quite a few operations like Bool or simulations do not support multiple cores.

Thank you, Yeah I'm starting to find that out. Every time I build a PC I think It's going to be 20x faster and that I can make anything without limitations but I guess the problem lies in the architecture of the software.