Sign in to follow this  
digitvisions

Yes transfer R-21 Perpetual licence pos'

Hi, I just received this Email from MAXON uk saying: 

Unfortunately at this moment we do not do Licence transfers for Release R21, apologies.

Any idea what is the reason for that?

Is this another nail in the coffin?

Given the change of management... this year I did actually read the EULA before purchasing the R21 Perceptual. I did notice this clause - the emphasis is mine:

"2.1   A perpetual license grants the user a time unlimited, remunerable, non-exclusive, non-transferable and non-sublicensable right to install and use the software...."

Unfortunately I don't have the R20 EULA to hand, but the R19 EULA included this clause, which is conspicuous by it's absence in R21 EULA:

"3.6 Subject to compliance with Section 3.8, you are entitled to sell the original Software license to third parties in accordance with the terms of this Section: Resale of the Software to third parties is permitted if you identify the third party who will receive the Software and use rights to MAXON before the sale.... "

So, my interpretation of 'at this moment...' is... No.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I nearly posted this when I read the EULA, and maybe I should have, but it was at a time when there was a huge amount of upset here already, so I held back. You would think with the '14 day check-in' licencing scheme a licence transfer would be quite possible.

Mike

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thanks Mike, we need a degree in law to understand it because further on under "General" it says:

General Terms and Conditions

The registration of the software and the right of use are bound to the user and cannot be transferred or sublicensed to third

parties without MAXON‘s consent. A transfer of the right of use must be documented by MAXON, the user and the third party.

Yes - I agree. Confusing at the best of times. It would be interesting to hear from Mr. McG. if this is just a temporary 'issue' or a permanent and deliberate change.

• Topic Author

Just to update the latest i have from MAXON - uk is this: 

" We can do a Licence Transfer for an active R20 version of C4D, as long as it has not been upgraded or sidegraded to the R21 release."

My understanding from what I've seen posted several times on the Modo forums is that this is illegal, to prevent a sale of a perpetual license. So if you are in Europe, you should have legal grounds to appeal on that.

I wish I was a lawyer to help you more on this.

• Topic Author
    3 minutes ago, MauricioPC said:

I wish I was a lawyer to help you more on this.

Thanks MauricioPc. I am not trying to sale, i am trying to buy. 🙂

• Topic Author

It looks like version R-21 is not just for Christmas its for life.

Gotcha! But if you are looking to buy, it's a new license or a used license. If it's used, the same would apply no?

• Topic Author
    26 minutes ago, MauricioPC said:

Gotcha! But if you are looking to buy, it's a new license or a used license. If it's used, the same would apply no?

Yes i am looking to buy second hand transfer. That's the reason for this post, but i will not be pursuing the legal root. Probably will stick with r15

and invest my money in new hardware, and study Blender.