Sign in to follow this  
FLima

Cirque du Soleil - Axel (c4d cel shader)

Hello all 🙂
wanted to share this project I did in August/September for Cirque du Soleil's new show, Axel.
I used cel shading for everything, with linked materials via expresso (to copy the cel shader's settings to all the other materials) 
And well, lots of mograph hehe 🙂 
I still had only the R18 license, so a lot of things would've been MUCH simpler with R21's capabilities of having different falloff in single mograph effects. But it was a cool experience regardless.

For the final render, since I wanted to give it a videogame/pixel art look. I removed all the anti-alias from the standard render, and rendered a tiny image of  288x145 and stretched inside After Effects without anti-alias. It was literaly the fastest post-production process thanks to this neat little trick when working with pixelated style 🙂

Let me know if you have any questions on how to achieve similar effects, nice combination and workflow with cel shader for production, etc. 

030_MASTERS_ICE.gif?format=1000w

Photo+08-10-2019,+16+36+37.jpg?format=10

020_GAMEON_ICE.gif

Photo 08-10-2019, 16 36 56.jpg

Love it! The pixel / retro look is really, really well made, especially the reduced color palette.

Are you able to show more of it, like full size animation via YouTube / Vimeo instead of those *.gif files? Really interested to see how the effect looks uncompressed.

Looks super cool!

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Love it! The pixel / retro look is really, really well made, especially the reduced color palette.

Are you able to show more of it, like full size animation via YouTube / Vimeo instead of those *.gif files? Really interested to see how the effect looks uncompressed.

Thanks!! 🙂
    Unfortunately, since the show is quite new, and they will be doing the official opening now in Montréal, I dont have access to full footages yet.
    There is one making of video that shows some of the acts I worked on

And there is... well.. a filmed footage.. of a guy that filmed vertical... and screams sometimes in horrible exposure hehe!!
    But you can see an entire act I worked on (starts at 8:00).. but yeah, not good quality, be warned 😛

For the final render, since I wanted to give it a videogame/pixel art look. I removed all the anti-alias from the standard render, and rendered a tiny image of  288x145 and stretched inside After Effects without anti-alias. It was literaly the fastest post-production process thanks to this neat little trick when working with pixelated style

Smart! =D And fast, a 288x145 render as a final image! Ha, awesome.

Nice client too!