Sign in to follow this  
McDev

Audio/Shockwave effect?

Hello.

I got a plane of spheres that I want to react to an audio source. My idea is that the audio file generates an impulse that shall travel through the spheres, for example along the Z axis.

One way of doing so could be a delay, say that the first row of spheres always samples the current frame of the audio source, while the n-th row samples the audio from -1 second or so.

I already think about making only one Row of dots that I use in another CLoner Object and use X-Presso to apply delay the position of each dot, I only have no idea how to 🙂

What I have currently are two shader Effectors with noise that use a Sound Field a Falloff. But that looks pretty bad, the sound field only scales the noise but it doesn't look dynamic enough.

What does the Delay Effector/Field actually do? I tried to smooth out the sound effect and it kinda works but at some point I still get some sudden jumps.

waves.jpg

Here is a quickie. Particles are generated and travel in Z+, however, sound field in Xpresso and some logic determines which ones actually lift upwards and affect the matrices. Yo ucan expand this, add decay and adjust it to get what you are after.  Hope it helps 🙂

Wave.zip