Sign in to follow this  
Langley

Relax UV error

Hi all

Im trying to unwrap a carton that I'll eventually have to map graphics to but am getting this error, relax uv error. Ive already reduced the level of polygons (thickness) on the object in the hope that I could somehow find where the dupe poly problem actually is or lack of the right line edge cuts. Can someone who perhaps knows more than I on UVs help?

File attached.

Thanks, Lang.

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 13.54.43.png

carton.c4d

Your non-manifold edge is this one (red line).

image.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks CBR.

Looking through the forum I noticed another request to this error back in 2018 so followed the route you set down then. Ive never the model settings before so it was a revelation. I saw this on the file too but can you suggest how I should go about sorting that. I tried to deal with it by following pretty much what you had suggested to the guest in 2018 but it didn't work. If am to delete the edge then somehow rework it and then optimise will that do it?

Cheers

Lang

You need to disconnect this edge from the back polygon (disconnect command). Note that disconnects all the points that touches, so you will have 2 welds to do afterwards to repair the back surface.

image.png

Or you can delete the long thin poly...

CBR

I do remain slightly confused as to why you are trying to relax the mesh during your UVings. This unwraps flawlessly with just a simple box projection and no relaxing needed...

norelax.jpg

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks CBR.

I guess the only reason I sometimes go down the path of using relax uv is to try and mimic the actual cuts on the cutter guide. If I do a simple box projection is does unwrap it reasonably well as you've shown but for me it leaves a gap between the faces which would mean I would have to amend the uv anyway, unless im doing something wrong when using the projection command? It also puts the faces in a different way to the lay down I have.

Attached is a screen shot showing that when use I box projection it doesn't keep the edges aligned and connected, is there a way ti get round that?

Cheers

Lang

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 15.09.13.png

• Topic Author
  • Hi again CBR

This is what im trying to achieve with relaxing the uv.

This shows what i get if i use the simple box projection along with the gaps between the UVs

Cheers

Lang

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 15.17.24.png

The easiest thing to do here is probably to just select your green highlighted polys, move them over to to the other side, then UV terrace the UV points back together...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks CBR. 

When I do that I then get the original error, relax uv error. Always the simplest things eh. My normals on this every time I add some thickness to the object seem to get throw a bit too. Plus they go from being the right way round to become reversed. I might have to start again on this as dont know why its become a pain. Ive in the past gone down the route of relaxing uv and its been fine until now.

Cheers

Lang

34 minutes ago, Langley said:

When I do that I then get the original error, relax uv error. Always the simplest things eh.

One problem at a time, hey ? 🙂

1. We don't need to relax anything, because a cubic unwrap does it with zero distortion. But if we were going to do a relax anyway, we need to solve the problem you first posted about by disconnecting that edge or deleting that poly, after which the Relax UV error should go away.

2. However, if we don't relax, then you should be able to move that section to the other side and stitch the UVs on there, even though you don't have to stitch them because that's on a corner anyway - as long as they line up they don't  actually have to be connected do they ?

If that doesn't make sense to you, perhaps I am misunderstanding what you're trying to do...

Unfortunately things get even more complicated when thickness is involved. You are right that negative extrusion produces an inversion of normals, but we have the tools to correct that. What we don't have tools to correct is the intersecting corners you risk getting when you add thickness, which are often very confusing to look at and quite time consuming to fix. And UVing that thickness is doubly confusing, so I find it most helpful to split the back side away and UV that separately (still within the same mesh though).

CBR