Sign in to follow this  
James Dunbar

Prorender / AMD 5500M 8GB crashing

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Morten. This does indeed work and I can now render using ProRender. I wonder why Metal isn't working though? Does anyone know whether this is likely to be a Cinema 4D bug, or is it a Catalina / hardware issue?

Omg dude, you saved my life with disabling Metal, my MBP was crashing so badly and I didn't know what to do, there's nothing out there regarding this, thanks so much, it even seems to work faster in the bits that didn't crash. A really easy way of testing this is adding subdivision to any body, instant crash, whole system. Thanks!!

To add to the documented cases -

I've had a similar problem on a new 16" MBP with 8gb Radeon and 64gb system memory. 

A few times C4d has crashed because of a "Graphics driver error" and one time while rendering in Prorender the whole machine suddenly shut down with a very quick and loud burst of the coolers. Only experienced that once.

Other than that, rendering in Prorender works for me. 

Will be keeping an eye out for similar problems. Please keep us posted if you find out it's a hardware problem.