Sign in to follow this  
James Dunbar

Prorender / AMD 5500M 8GB crashing

Hi - I've been trying to test Prorender on the new MacBook Pro 16" with the AMD 5500M 8GB onboard. It has crashed the whole machine twice while updating scene. Never gets beyond updating - I left it running for 20 minutes yesterday and had to force quit as the machine was unresponsive. Today I used the 'compile shaders' option in preferences, which seemed to work, but when I tried a render it crashed the whole machine again after a few minutes 'updating'.

So I guess Prorender is unusable on the new MacBook Pro for now? Is anyone else managing to get it to render?

Please send crash report to MAXON if you haven't already...

• Topic Author
  • Sorry should have said I am running R21.115 (Build RB297076). MacBook Pro specs - 2.3Ghz i9, 32GB Ram.

If the whole machine crashes it is usually a problem with the OS, the drivers or even hardware (Overheating). Do you even get a crash report pop up on next start of Cinema 4D?

• Topic Author
  • Hi srek, no crash report has come up on next start of Cinema 4d. Next time it happens I will send the report to Apple.

Not wishing to hijack the thread. But I'm also running r21 on a new 16' mbp. And while I'm not using pro-render (I'm Corona)...  I do find there's something a bit odd sometimes. There's more crashes than I'm used to with cinema. Heavy files particularily seem to be causing issues. 

Its difficult to pinpoint the problem. Is it r21, catalina, or the MBP hardware... time will tell I guess.

If a crash report is generated please send it to MAXON. If not chances are high the cause for the crash is outside of Cinema 4D.

I am getting the same problem using ProRender on my 16" MBP.  Can't even force quit, as the whole system locks up.  No crash report generates.  16" MBP, 2.4Ghz i9 64GBRAM 5500M GPU.

C4D also crashes more in general using standard/physical than I am used to previous MBPs and previous OS.

• Topic Author
  • Just tried again. Left it running for 16 minutes and it remained stuck on 'updating 97%'. As pdumas said, the whole system locks up and you cannot force quit. You can feel heat coming from the keyboard, but no fans are spinning. I had to do a force restart. No crash reports generated, so this is very frustrating.

Basically unusable. If it is a problem with MacOS, why am I only having this issue with Prorender?

I had the same problem, but after I disabled Metal in preferences -> renderer -> ProRender everything worked as expected.

Best,

Morten

Skærmbillede 2020-01-02 kl. 18.59.00.png