Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Best way to chroma key a tree?

I have a footage which has trees (among other stuff) and a almost blue sky (light blue mixed with harder blue).

When I apply Keylight from After Effects to it (in a mask, because I only want a part of the sky be removed, especially behind the trees) ) and play with the settings I get this kind of key (which is not satisfactory). Part of the leaves are gone because of the blue spill on them I suppose (I used the Spill Suppressor from AE to no avail).

How to key this kind of footage best?

Here you have the plate (full HD, 30 fps): https://www.dropbox.com/s/dexjcdbmz63xnho/C0006.MP4?dl=0

blue.jpg

Sorry, but you've not got a hope. Think about it for a moment... what colour light is that tree being lit with?  Exactly the same colour(s) you're trying to key out. 

Agreed--   this is an hellacious task you've set yourself.  😯    Doing this as a still image in P'SHOP would be tricky enough... Doing it with moving footage in AE  is going to be a nightmare.

• Topic Author
  • 12 hours ago, rasputin said:

Agreed--   this is an hellacious task you've set yourself.  😯    Doing this as a still image in P'SHOP would be tricky enough... Doing it with moving footage in AE  is going to be a nightmare.

Well, I guess I found a solution...and that is to NOT be behind the trees with my object :). It's good to know though that this kind of scene is very hard to chroma key or rotoscope. Thanks.