Sign in to follow this  
jed

Sometimes C4D dynamics amazes me

I like to make stuff with gears and normally use XPresso or Python to get the required rotations. Recently I needed to use oval gears, but the math proved too hard. I thought I'd try C4D dynamics, not really expecting it to cope with non-circular gears. To my surprise everything worked - so I made some 3, 4, 5, 6 etc sided cogs and dynamics worked for those objects also (with a bit of help from constraints and XPresso). Using wheel suspension instead of hinges helps to keep odd shaped things things touching.

Here's a video of my tests

While I had my math hat on, I made this - no idea what it's supposed to be.

Love it 🙂

the pyramidal setup makes me think that it might be possible to control the oscillation of the top cogwheel by combining specific control cogwheels to achieve a specific curve, maybe even a sound curve 🙂

• Topic Author
  • The math problem I encountered was that for one cog to drive another they must have the same linear speed at the point of contact. For a given rotation speed, the edge speed is proportional to radius, and the cogs have varying radius. I found some equations on Wiki etc, but it was beyond my math ability ☹️

On 12/30/2019 at 1:26 PM, jed said:

The math problem I encountered was that for one cog to drive another they must have the same linear speed at the point of contact. For a given rotation speed, the edge speed is proportional to radius, and the cogs have varying radius. I found some equations on Wiki etc, but it was beyond my math ability ☹️

I found this to be effectively unsolvable for me. Determining the point, or better line, of contact between cogwheel teeth is amazingly complex. It was fun to read up on this, but utterly out of scope of my math skills to make use of.

For round cogwheels i simply use the number of teeth to get the ratio, for any other kind of gear i would go with Dynamics as well 🙂

• Topic Author
  • Re teeth ratio - are you familiar with the Looney Gears ? It's a toy with asymmetric sun + planet gears that have prime numbers of teeth. The game is to work out how many times you have to rotate the sun gear to get all the gears lined up.

There's also Somsky gears, with an extra cog. My version -

Amazing stuff, so interesting, I would nver have thought that dynaimcs would be stable wnough for this stuff.