Sign in to follow this  
marmalade

Half sphere solid

What is the best way to create a half sphere with a cap on?  I tried attaching a flattened cylinder to the top with connect and delete but was a very fiddly and time consuming process. Is there a better way? I want a half sphere that looks solid.

You could make the Hemisphere editable (e.g. by pressing c) and afterwards it's just one click using Close Polygon Hole (in R21 in Mesh menu -> Add -> Close Polygon Hole, or press m followed by d). This results in an ngon closing the hole, which may or may not be desirable. I'm sure there are other more sophisticated ways resulting in more controllable topology, but I'll leave this to @Hrvoje (or one of the other pros in this forum).

Cheers

Yep, what MighT said 🙂 I am lobbying to try and get caps by default on hemispheres, but whilst they are absent, for lower poly spheres CPH then topologise is the fastest way to go here if you need all quads. If not, then it may be faster to Stitch'n'Sew a disc on instead.

But if you have the HB modelling bundle (and any serious modeller should) then this is made especially easy using the Quadcaps script in that, which reduces it to a 3 click operation or similar. This 'perfect edge flow' result took 3 secs to get using that.

image.thumb.png.2383642a0d3f693f216dc80dd9fe4301.png

If you are working with higher poly spheres, and don't have HBMB, then this alternative method of quad-capping is probably fastest.

561515002_HemisphereQuadClose.thumb.gif.9a56c87d1b6623242ab08d8fd5b8326e.gif

1. Select perimeter edges.

2. Ctrl-Scale in a small outside rim of polys to create circular edge flow.

3. Deselect 4 edges, 2 each from opposite sides of selection.

4. Points mode, now Stitch'n'sew from point to equivalent point on the other side, holding shift to create new surface.

5. Select all edges on newly created surface.

6. M,M to connect, which will bisect those.

7. Stitch'n'Sew again, to target weld the 2 vertices to the rim at top and bottom. (Only 1 shown in GIF above)

Done. May look like a lot of stages, but with practice it takes seconds.

CBR

Or could be used sphere...

Hexahedron sphere (segmentation was choosen to be enough smooth and has centar horizontal edge loop, but should be any segmentation and after convertion to poly selected and connected ring of central horizontal edges)

hexahedron_sphere_1.png.cff708ab486aa95feadfc1eaea404edb.png

After poly conversion selected top halph polygons

hexahedron_sphere_2.png.908b6bd3345941210a2863367b87f3f4.png

With snapping adjusted modeling axis (L-modificator) to center horizontal edge loop of sphere

hexahedron_sphere_3.png.5be5d04f7efa66ab534631828eb9e9e4.png

With scale tool and Shift modificator scaled all selected polygons to zero

(select/click on Y axis gizmo and scale down to zero)

hexahedron_sphere_4.png.a5dd99e50f785961971bbafeb4819d38.png

From polyselection with Ctrl modificator remove polygon loop from border of selection

hexahedron_sphere_5.png.df94ff9e1a35a926e5684ac73bbed2f9.png

Selected brush tool and in Smooth mode in top view make polyselection "more uniform"

hexahedron_sphere_6.png.11f123703241e01bb647cac3aed7c4b6.png

At the end (if needed) select border edge loop and apply some small bevel (or deformer if want to keep parametric)

hexahedron_sphere_7.png.1c108ecd912bcd25cd03d4986d6cbcc9.png

Result could be similar to this...

hexahedron_sphere_8.png.3af5f2d283000d489552e466e7caa072.png

• Topic Author
  • On 12/31/2019 at 11:10 PM, bezo said:

Or could be used sphere...

Hexahedron sphere (segmentation was choosen to be enough smooth and has centar horizontal edge loop, but should be any segmentation and after convertion to poly selected and connected ring of central horizontal edges)

Why does mine look like this after scaling to 0?

scale.jpg

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

Why does mine look like this after scaling to 0?

Because:

a) You chose the wrong loop to flatten to - you needed the next row up which was already planar.

b) You didn't move the modelling axis to Y minimum before doing the scaling.

CBR

as addition to Jay´s reply...

c) scaling is in Y axis only

(simply select/click Y axis only, drag down and with Shift quantize to zero. Or use Coordinate Manager and set Y size value only to zero.

Condition is axis of selection must be on the "bottom" of selection. (Jay´s b) )

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, bezo said:

as addition to Jay´s reply...

c) scaling is in Y axis only

(simply select/click Y axis only, drag down and with Shift quantize to zero. Or use Coordinate Manager and set Y size value only to zero.

Condition is axis of selection must be on the "bottom" of selection. (Jay´s b) )

Thanks figured it out in the end. It wasn’t mentioned to only scale on 1 axis so I was scaling the lot.  I don’t really like the resulting polygons with this method. They are kind of squared. I’d like circular loops.  I think Cerberas method works best. 
    Thanks for the great help everyone.