Sign in to follow this  
Wilsonator

Maya LT character animation import?

Hi - will be working in Cinema 4D after being in a Maya environment.  Has anyone tried doing their character rigging and animating in Maya LT ($250/yr) and bringing it into C4D via FBX (etc)? Maybe not worth the price if the rigging/animating system on C4D is good enough. I'm guessing that Maya is better in this area but I wouldn't know by how much.  Anyone care to comment?

Cheers. 

Don't  use maya but Maya Indi is the way to go full featured cheap price .

Dan

(Full) Maya's animation toolset is fairly well accepted to be the best there is in that it is the most capable, and well-featured (and has been around the longest so is industry standard), but I'll bet my bottom dollar that Cinema's equivalent systems are easier to learn and use and arguably faster to set up, if they are not quite as comprehensive. I also think Cinema rigs look better, but that's personal opinion and extends to the rest of the program as well - but I have never been that keen on the way Maya looks and feels.

Our FBX import is pretty decent too by version R18+ but I suggest you test the rigging aspects of that yourself using your own Maya rigs in the demo of Cinema before you decide...

CBR

@bentraje may be able to offer some help in this area as I know he went over to Maya to do rigging.

Dan

@Rectro
Sorry for the late response. Was a away for holiday. 

@Wilsonator
I worked with the regular Maya (i..e full version) and not with Maya LT or the Indie (correct me if I'm wrong but the Indie is limited only to specific countries. It's not available in mine). All I know about the difference is the Maya LT does not contain any advance features (i.e. no FX toolset, no C++/python plug-ins, no advanced deformers (i.e. delta mush) ) . Personally a deal breaker for me is the no C++/Python Plug-ins/Environment. You only have to use the built-in MEL.

Anyhow, yes Maya has an edge for the animation and rigging tool set. After all, it is first and foremost an animation and rigging software. That said, the main factor  whether to choose Maya vs C4D for animation is mostly for pipeline for purposes (i.e. if your colleagues are already in Maya, then use Maya). The logic is it's much more cheaper to buy software than retraining artists. 

In terms of capability, for beginner and medium rigging/animation tasks. I'm indifferent between C4D and Maya. Both can do the job well. For advanced tasks, Maya easily shines.
Don't worry about it. You need roughly 1-2 years of rigging experience before you concern yourself with advance features