Sign in to follow this  
kikomesh

Animate a character Hula Hooping

Posted (edited)

Is there a way to animate a character Hula Hooping?

i can animate the character but i have no idea how to add the hula hoop and have it collide and be driven by the character's motion.

thanks

Edited by Cerbera
Removed unnecessary tags / moved to correct section

Please take care to post in the right category which is not Introductions.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • sure. can you explain what i did wrong please? it's my first post.

No worries - and welcome to the cafe ! 🙂 When you post on these forums asking a question or for help, we have a whole system of categories which assist everyone here in find the posts they can help with. You should think about what your question involves, and what section that should go in. Introductions is specifically a place to say hello when you first arrive, and we are not expecting to find any questions there...

This is all explained in our How to Post on the Cafe thread.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • ah! ok, i will check out the link. i had no idea i posted in introductions. thanks 🙂

as for your question: you could make the hula hoop ring dynamic (give it a rigid body dynamics tag) and the characters mesh a collider tag. make sure to set the shape from "automatic" to "moving mesh" for correct evaluation. but tbh i would just animate the ring by hand, making the ring stay up and have it circle in a smooth motion by animating your character and using dynamics is even harder than making that thing stay up in real life with your own body 😉 

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, everfresh said:

as for your question: you could make the hula hoop ring dynamic (give it a rigid body dynamics tag) and the characters mesh a collider tag. make sure to set the shape from "automatic" to "moving mesh" for correct evaluation. but tbh i would just animate the ring by hand, making the ring stay up and have it circle in a smooth motion by animating your character and using dynamics is even harder than making that thing stay up in real life with your own body 😉 

hey, thanks for the reply. i just like the idea of having it driven by dynamics, but i think you're right. i'll try animating by hand. seems pretty straight forward.

on another note, do you know a way to add facial rigging to a mixamo rig? i have a workaround which involves attaching another head (with pose morphs) and hiding the original head. it works but obviously, it's not very elegant. is it possible to un-bind, add the joints / point clusters / controllers and then re-bind the whole thing?

thanks, again!

5 minutes ago, kikomesh said:

hey, thanks for the reply. i just like the idea of having it driven by dynamics, but i think you're right. i'll try animating by hand. seems pretty straight forward.

on another note, do you know a way to add facial rigging to a mixamo rig? i have a workaround which involves attaching another head (with pose morphs) and hiding the original head. it works but obviously, it's not very elegant. is it possible to un-bind, add the joints / point clusters / controllers and then re-bind the whole thing?

thanks, again!

you don't have to un-bind anything. just add your joints and controllers as a child of the head joint of your mixamo rig and paint the weights for those joints in.

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, everfresh said:

you don't have to un-bind anything. just add your joints and controllers as a child of the head joint of your mixamo rig and paint the weights for those joints in.

hmmm!...ok, that sounds really promising. thank you 🙂