Sign in to follow this  
Gregie

Bendy Bones Lag / Delay

I've recently tried to use the Bendy Arm / Leg options in Character Builder. While the rig itself came out good I quickly noticed that there are priority shift issues with regards to the bendy bones (note : this only applies to the bendy bones, the standard non bendy ones used to drive the bendy bones work fine) Every time you undo or even make a quick rotation with one of the limbs, the bendy bones appear with delay and do not settle into their proper pose until you click anywhere else in the view port. I attempted to priority shift them later down the chain using the Priority Shift tag but to no avail. I wouldn't be concerned about it if it was only a viewport problem but when rendering , the image captured per frame is also the one with the incorrect bend so not usable for production work. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and was able to hotfix it. I really like the bendy rig but can't figure this one out. 

This occurs directly when you make the bendy limbs using the character builder, it does not require any geometry at all to reproduce. I can make a video example if it would help. Big thanks ahead of time to anyone able to assist in the solve. Thank you. 

I have worked with the Bendy Arm/Leg form the Built-in Character Builder. 
I haven't had any priority problems. 

Can you send a sample file for inspection? 

• Topic Author
  • Thank you for the assistance Ben. Apologies ahead of time, as I referred to it as Character Builder instead of Character Object. 

Here's is a video example of the issue 
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hug6vupak726q73/BendyBonesIssue.mp4?dl=0

And here is a tester c4d file
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s5gt7vcu7i2cqf/BendyBonesIssue.c4d?dl=0

I take it back. I just had a look at it. Indeed, there is a priority issue. 
    Unfortunately, it would be an enormous task figuring how to fix the priority since its already a complicated rig. 
    Fortunately, we have @BretBays here, who I believe worked on the creation Character Builder/Object, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you @bentraje for confirming it's not only occurring for me and to @BretBays in case a fix can be administered.  Main issue is that the same behavior that occurs with the undo's also occurs between set keyframes and is picked up at render time. Cheers. 

Implementing a fix is hard, but I can tell you how to fix it. It's just changing one of the priorities of the constraint tags I believe. I don't have it in front of me though.

it's been a while since i used the advanced biped, but i know that priority issue wasn't there when i used it. just tried it with r19 and r20 to be sure, and it works just fine in those versions.

I think it got introduced in R20. It was either directly my fault(as some changes were made in R20), or it was someone at MAXON's who did some minor re-org of it after the changes were made, which introduced a priority issue.  But I believe it's a relatively new issue. If you find the object that is lagging, it's probably the controller, which is driving the joints etc). If you were to adjust the constraint tag of the null that is driving the controller, make it like 1 number bigger, it might solve it. Otherwise ill need to crack open the file and check.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you everyone so much for the feedback. I made another video showing the extent of how I saw it effects certain controllers.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox59u7lov06ezy2/BendyBoneUpdate.mp4?dl=0

I'll do my best to query through the controllers/bones and try to shift priorities till I find the culprit 😉 Thank you. 

Since it is somewhat confirmed that it is an R20+ bug, it might be better off to send it to the technical support team. 
    Hoping for the best.