Good Afternoon and Happy New year ūüôā¬†

Quick question 

so i got a 3D Mesh of a skull

How can i fill the gap between it's inner wall and it's outer wall so i can cut some peaces away and it does not look hollow 

Shall i just open in in Sculpting thingy and do the job there ? 

Idea is to brake it apart making a mask 

at the moment i have been working with Displacement maps and deleting mesh to form this mask but in future i want to avoid the hustle 

C4D R19 + octane 

ūüôā

Thanks Griz ūüôā

1 hour ago, Grizzy said:

Shall i just open in in Sculpting thingy and do the job there ? 

What sculpting thingy is that then ? Because nothing in Cinema's sculpting is going to help you seal the holes.

1 hour ago, Grizzy said:

How can i fill the gap between it's inner wall and it's outer wall so i can cut some peaces away and it does not look hollow 

Cinema treats any closed mesh as 'solid', so your only job here is extracting the part you need and closing any holes in it, or splitting off a single polygon surface and adding your own thickness later. It would help if we could see the model you are working with., and get a better idea of which bits you want to turn into a mask - then we could advise which of the 2 methods is more suitable. But essentially the method will be largely the same; you will need to create polygon surfaces to either fill holes or create thickness, and our normal poly modelling toolset contains everything we need to do this. But the existing thickness in a skull is a very complex thing, so I would need to see your model (pls upload file) to know what best to do with it.

There is also voronoi Fracture, which can automatically close holes and optimize meshes, but that is of little help to you if you want to manually cut away parts with any real precision.  It is more useful for blowing stuff apart into pieces.

CBR

If it's any help, here's a skull I made earlier, and here's the polys I would select from it to extract to a new model for making a mask... I would extract these single surfaces, connect them all into a single mesh, build a new teeth section, then add new thickness to everything using polygon extrude.

image.thumb.png.924aa4fb6a264e927bbcb0113d385168.png

This one uses symmetry and has a separate jawbone and teeth. Making the teeth a part of a single contiguous mask surface is by far the most challenging thing about this sort of project, but again, the regular modelling tools can do it if you have the time, skills and patience...

The main difficulty in this case is making the segmentation on the teeth suitable for connecting with the surrounding surfaces, which would require quite a high level of topology solving experience. There may be ways to cheat that, like for example the collision deformer, or the Volume Builder in R20+ but nothing will get you as good a result as doing it by hand. My advice would be that if you have separate teeth you might as well build a highly simplified new teeth section and connect that with the rest of the model. 

Also use symmetry so you only have to do half the work !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • And the day has been saved by @Cerbera

Thanks Will have a play !