Jump to content

What's the proper word for this thing?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I'm wondering:    Is there a proper 3D word for this thing,  this phenomenon,  on any 3D mesh?    That is,    where your polys converge on one point of a curved mesh?     (Usually,   UV-wise,   you don't  want to see your texturing converge at one of these points,   hence the workaround of the Triplanar UV distribution).


Thanks,  ras

Link to post

That, my friend, is a pole, specifically a complex pole which means that a single point has more than 5 edges converging on it; in this case many more !


Why do our primitives make / use them ? Because they most accurately give a properly spherical shape, and a lot of the spherically derived forms people try and make require that polar layout where the edge flow makes sense for their models - think eyeball for a good example of this.. The Hexasphere, which doesn't have a poles problem, being as it is a rounded cube essentially, might be much superior from a topological point of view in that it has no poles, but actually it isn't as perfectly round as either a standard sphere or an icosa sphere ! That is why we need both options.




Link to post

Thanks so much,  cerbera!    Your erudition and counsel  here on the Cafe is a godsend.    Where can I obtain a Hexasphere,  just for visual comparison?

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...