Sign in to follow this  
Jaee

Bubble Gum Mograph

Hi guys, I am trying to animate bubble gum blowing up and exploding from a flat disk shape? Could you guys give me some advices? Thanks,

No, don't do it with a disc - you need to have no complex poles, and square regular polygons across the whole surface for cloth to work properly, and a disc is just unsuitable for that, so better to make it by subdividing a plane. Also don't forget you will need your cloth inside a cloth surface if you are to successfully tear anything. Also gum isn't really a disc at any stage - I'd base it on an icosasphere myself, which is not only the right shape to inflate easily, but also utterly even poly distribution, despite those polys being triangles, which doesn't matter for the purposes of soft body dynamics...

But I would say that cloth won't really behave like gum would in the inflation stage, so you probably need soft bodies for that bit, and single frame model swap for the bit you turn into cloth when it comes to exploding it...

But the second caveat here is that when gum 'explodes' it doesn't actually explode - it just deflates at speed as soon as  a small hole appears in the inflated part. For that reason I might consider using soft bodies for the whole animation, which can't rip, but can deflate as easily as they can inflate in the first place...

Not sure what any of this has to do with Mograph., so this post will be getting re-titled unless we need that to solve this...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 18 hours ago, Cerbera said:

No, don't do it with a disc - you need to have no complex poles, and square regular polygons across the whole surface for cloth to work properly, and a disc is just unsuitable for that, so better to make it by subdividing a plane. Also don't forget you will need your cloth inside a cloth surface if you are to successfully tear anything. Also gum isn't really a disc at any stage - I'd base it on an icosasphere myself, which is not only the right shape to inflate easily, but also utterly even poly distribution, despite those polys being triangles, which doesn't matter for the purposes of soft body dynamics...

But I would say that cloth won't really behave like gum would in the inflation stage, so you probably need soft bodies for that bit, and single frame model swap for the bit you turn into cloth when it comes to exploding it...

But the second caveat here is that when gum 'explodes' it doesn't actually explode - it just deflates at speed as soon as  a small hole appears in the inflated part. For that reason I might consider using soft bodies for the whole animation, which can't rip, but can deflate as easily as they can inflate in the first place...

Not sure what any of this has to do with Mograph., so this post will be getting re-titled unless we need that to solve this...

CBR

Hi Cerbera,

Thanks for your kind advice 🙂 Can you take a look at the Cinema 4D file I've worked attached below? It seems to work...Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryj96jxtsuvhn45/Bubble Logo.zip?dl=0

5 hours ago, Jaee said:

hanks for your kind advice 🙂 Can you take a look at the Cinema 4D file I've worked attached below? It seems to work...Thanks!

Yeah, it sort of works 🙂 That pole in the middle of the disc is affecting things in a negative way, but I like what you tried to do with spherize. TBH in your file what you were trying to do was radically different from what I was imagining you were asking, so as long as you're happy, hey ? 🙂

CBR