Sign in to follow this  
Grizzy

Displacement in Octane

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Hope you are well and happy ( well at least Well ) 

Was browsing trough some artists today and found a peace from Bill Ellis 

Was wondering does anyone know a way how to archive something like this 

got few examples 

Now it looks to me to be 2 separate objects bot how to archive this style of texture in overall 

I understand 1 way is displacement ? but even then how to shape the damage etc ? 

DISCLAIMER - IMAGES ARE FROM ARTIST "BILL ELIS"

IMAGES ARE USED ONLY AS REFERENCE 

image.thumb.png.a98037195b22e38bcd9587fdd4fc5922.png

image.png.ad941e0cfc54ebbc5d17eb041ec40bd7.png

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section - please be careful where you post !

I've put this in the Octane Category for now, which is certainly better than where it was - Introductions, where it definitely shouldn't be ! But your question doesn't actually relate to specifically Octane, as displacement works very similarly in all renderers, so I might move it to Texturing and UVs later if it transpires that the advice you're getting is generally applicable.

Displacement is driven by a grayscale map usually, though that may be generated by a procedural noise if you use the displacement inside native Cinema.

Where you are using procedural noise, then the principal factor involved in that is randomness, so you don't so much control where the displacement happens, as keep flicking through random noise seeds until you find one you like ! But if you need specific control over where the displacement occurs, then you need to UV unwrap the object and then prepare a displacement map that fits the UVs you have created.

You can either create a UV mesh layer then design this map in Photoshop, or Octane my have ways of baking its own noises into material maps.

CBR

This can also be done via Volume Modeling. Take the skull model as base and then work on from there.

I've attached a very simple example of the workflow.

VolumeModeling.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 18 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I've put this in the Octane Category for now, which is certainly better than where it was - Introductions, where it definitely shouldn't be ! But your question doesn't actually relate to specifically Octane, as displacement works very similarly in all renderers, so I might move it to Texturing and UVs later if it transpires that the advice you're getting is generally applicable.

Displacement is driven by a grayscale map usually, though that may be generated by a procedural noise if you use the displacement inside native Cinema.

Where you are using procedural noise, then the principal factor involved in that is randomness, so you don't so much control where the displacement happens, as keep flicking through random noise seeds until you find one you like ! But if you need specific control over where the displacement occurs, then you need to UV unwrap the object and then prepare a displacement map that fits the UVs you have created.

You can either create a UV mesh layer then design this map in Photoshop, or Octane my have ways of baking its own noises into material maps.

CBR

Apologies for this 

I was in a rush when typed this.

Thanks 

Griz

• Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

This can also be done via Volume Modeling. Take the skull model as base and then work on from there.

VolumeModeling.c4d 442.25 kB · 1 download

Thank you.

I will have a look 

Thanks

Griz

• Topic Author
  • 18 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

VolumeModeling.c4d 442.25 kB · 2 downloads

isn't volume modelling from R20 and up ?

3 hours ago, Grizzy said:

isn't volume modelling from R20 and up ?

It is... didn't realize you're running R19, sorry.

• Topic Author
  • On 1/10/2020 at 4:07 PM, DasFrodo said:

It is... didn't realize you're running R19, sorry.

It's okay 🙂

I am working around as i am using ZBrush 

I Chop up with raw brush the skull and when i export i use 2nd skull as solid mesh with SSS and then i add on top the new skull with metallic texture

Will upload once done