Sign in to follow this  
youngskywalker

Face mocap data -> custom head model

Hi everyone

I'm currently struggling with a project. Let me try to be as clear as possible :

I am basically trying to animate a face on a character that has a Mixamo mocap animation on it.

I am using CV-AR to record facial mocap with an iPhone 11, but the C4D plugin gives me a face (not a head) with a bunch of Xpresso premade for me.

If I wanted to transfer that mocap data to a custom model of a head, or to the head on the Mixamo character, what would I need to do ? Do I need to rig the face ? If so, how do I do that ? Do I use FACS / blendshapes ? Is there a specific rig I need to use so that it works with the Xpresso I got from the CV-AR data ?

I'm very new to mocap and I am stuck with this part of the project right now. Any help is appreciated

Please don't hesitate to ask if you need extra info

Thank you. I hope someone can help me with this

CV-AR gives you the vertex movement of the face and it also gives you the blend shape values from ARKit that you can use to drive your own Pose Morphs to control your own model of a face.

If you want to have a face talking on your own mesh then you would need to create the blend shapes yourself (using FACS is good) and then drive them using the blend shape parameters from the CV-AR.  The Xpresso setup that CV-AR gives you is a good starting point to see how this can be done, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

You could also drive a rigged model using the blend shape values as well, but that would need a different xpresso setup. 

Hope that helps.

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, kbar said:

CV-AR gives you the vertex movement of the face and it also gives you the blend shape values from ARKit that you can use to drive your own Pose Morphs to control your own model of a face.

If you want to have a face talking on your own mesh then you would need to create the blend shapes yourself (using FACS is good) and then drive them using the blend shape parameters from the CV-AR.  The Xpresso setup that CV-AR gives you is a good starting point to see how this can be done, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

You could also drive a rigged model using the blend shape values as well, but that would need a different xpresso setup. 

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your reply, and great work on CV-AR ! I have some follow up questions if that's okay ?

I've never rigged a face, and I never worked with Xpresso. I am doing research right now to understand what FACS is. I am going to have my model's face rigged, and try to have it animated using the Xpresso that CV-AR automatically makes. My question is the following :

Assuming I have a rigged face, how easy is the setup to transfer the CV-AR data to my rigged face ? Especially for someone who's never worked with blend shapes and Xpresso. What do I need to do specifically ?