How would YOU model this shoe?

Hey guys,

I'm curious:  How would YOU go about modeling this shoe?    My Poser figure is supposed to wear them.   My results have been...  barely passable,  not that good at all.    I've been using the Poser figure's foot mesh  to serve  as a possible "shoe last",  ya might say...

The difficulty,  of course,  is that the shape is VERY organic...   hardly a straight line on the whole shoe.    And as you can imagine,  I end up with polys wildly angled everywhere,  and in very diverse sizes...  ie.,   lousy topology.

Don't worry about the heel,   the little bow or the decorative perforations--   I'm just concerned with modeling the basic shape of the "chassis".    Is there an especially "clean",  efficient  or elegant way to go about modeling this shoe?

Thanks,  ras

1940's women's shoe
foot.thumb.PNG.f5b69d29fc5443b0f30a07ad47375944.PNG

Nope. Good old regular SDS poly modelling is all you need here, which I would do via the 'staged applied subdivision' method...

So you start incredibly low poly to define the basic forms, then apply 1 level of Sub-D and continue, only applying another one when you need more detail, and work your way up to the final detail level where you would add the smallest holes in the upper.

The only thing to say here is to make the shoe in the same sections it is built in the real world, so upper, base, heel, bows and stitching can all be separate models. You do need to consider if those holes on the upper are actually holes, or if you can do them with textures, which will save a lot of work if you can... otherwise, if you need that whole pattern made of physical holes in the mesh, you need to make your edge flow suitable for creating those at the higher subdivision levels.

Oh, and I would start the base flat initially as well, and really let subdivision do the work by keeping things really VERY low poly until you are ready to apply your first level of subdivision.

CBR

Thanks,  cerbera!   Would you believe I've never modeled in the Sub-D approach before?    This looks like a good time to learn it.

I had been trying to do this shoe first using the Loft-ing of splines...  pretty tricky.    Then i got the wild idea to place a sphere primitive around my (Poser) foot mesh,  then do a Cloth Sim 'til it hugs the foot tightly.     Both of these methods yield a ghastly topology which is tricky to then refine using the Mesh Brush tool.    I keep thinkin' there's GOT to be an easier way.

I so appreciate your help here!

Thanks,  ras

4 hours ago, rasputin said:

I keep thinkin' there's GOT to be an easier way.

Yeah SDS is that easier way, and it's never too late to start 🙂  I would never use any generator methods like loft etc for this.

SDS modelling is the most rewarding and satisfying type of modelling there is, so there is a lot to love about it if you obey its rules...

So first stage when making the base is to get a plane in a general long rectangle shape, give it 4 x 8 segments or so, then get some top-down reference pics in the viewport and I used the smear brush to push those points into the general shape in Top View. Then I selected all polys and inner extruded to give me the nice edge flow round the perimeter. Once happy with the top-down shape, you could then add the FFD, get the shape right vertically, then do CStO to get a copy of that to continue modelling...

CBR

Cerbera,

Is THIS the idea?    I started with a cube primitive,  elongated it,   and applied a SUB-D SURFACE to it,    shown here subdivided 2X.     So it's a process of applying appropriate cuts--  avoiding triangulation--     then gradually moving your points closer to your ideal?

298397451_SUB-DSHOE.thumb.PNG.2400468fa29b3f132afaa77c6719f9f9.PNG

....and here's an even better starting attempt,  I think you'll agree.    I'm really beginning to see the beauty and logic of Sub-D modeling!  If you do it right,  your mesh is always pretty and logical,  and has not a single polygon too many.    Thank you for your help here,  Cerbera!

716884741_SUBD2.thumb.PNG.a5f04370c315580c99ab1bbbd67235ba.PNG

That's certainly one way to go, although I would have started with the plane I showed you rather than a box, but only because the upper parts are a separate mesh and it's easier to see what the base is doing without the sides and top getting in the way... also we should keep at the back of our minds that a cube is not suitable edge flow for this, so we're going to have to make it so before long if you continue with this approach...

I'll show you how I'd start the top bit tomorrow, but I'm heading bed-wards now...

CBR