Sign in to follow this  
Igor

The Irishman’s Groundbreaking VFX

Admin

Good god.  Absolutely amazing.   I saw the movie three times over the Thanksgiving holiday,   and not once did I twig on that there might be some digital trickery going on with their faces.   The illusion was seamless.  I'm guessing ILM possesses some extremely powerful computers;   anything less would make this process a nightmare. Wow.  And I guess ILM has enough money and power to completely commission a new dedicated proprietary  software expressly for their purposes from code programmers.

Somehow,  at the end of the day,  they had to construct a mesh for the actors' faces,  that they could then play with.   And that mesh is surprisingly low-poly,  yet flawlessly topologized and rigged with custom morphs.  Maybe the three-headed camera did a kind of photogrammetry?  Even still,  I'll bet they still couldn't fully automate this process;  ie.,  they still had to do a lot of frame-by-frame editing.

It also looks like they made meshes out of the surrounding walls and furniture... I guess they had to do that to keep perspective and focal length correct?

Kinda wild that DeNiro still remembered his monologue from GOODFELLAS,  25 years on;   do all movie actors do that?

Hvala na ovom videu, Igore!

• Topic Author
  • Admin
    Author of the topic Posted
    4 hours ago, rasputin said:

I saw the movie three times over the Thanksgiving holiday,   and not once did I twig on that there might be some digital trickery going on with their faces. 

Dont know what to say here, it might have something to do with the TV you are wathing it on. While I was able to see there is something "strange" about the faces, its definetly another level of VFX. Despite of not being perfect like anything else, its definetly cool to see something like this. Also, new Gemini movie doing something like this, but could be a different tehnology in questiion, I am not sure 100%

And Irishman as a movie is the movie you will have to watch few times before you catch everything on that screen. Good movie for sure...

4 hours ago, rasputin said:

Hvala na ovom videu, Igore!

Your welcome! Or Croatians would say 'Nema na  cemu' 😊

Awesome, thanks for Sharing Igor.  As I grew up watching these actors in their younger years I can relate to how well they did.  There is still room for improvement as I could pick something up in the eyes that didn't quite fit, a slight nuance, but hasn't new tech done some amazing things.

Dan

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this