Sign in to follow this  
dexterG

c4d rigging

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to learn how to rig a character for animation using Cinema 4d.

I would appreciate tips on where i can get this lesson.

Please have it in mind i am  new to cinema 4d and just completed a course on modeling and looking at rigging as the next step

Edited by Cerbera
Corrected typo in Keyword.

Hi.

Iv found the best material to learn rigging is from Cinevercity with Brett Bays.  You can learn everything you need from there.  Its a technical subject so your need to put aside a good few months to get it down for a basic rig with controllers.   If you have never rigged anything before you may want to start on something more basic, mini rigging sessions to get used to things like IK/FK. constraints, and basic animation knowledge.  Youtube has plenty on there, but Cinevercity has the more in depth step by step for the character rigging methods.

Dan

Additionally to what Dan has said, you should maybe note that Character Animation is one of the most complex things it is possible to do in 3D. To start there really is diving in at the deep end. Nearly everybody learns the simpler / more basic areas of the program first like modelling, texturing, lighting and rendering.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 34 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Hi.

Iv found the best material to learn rigging is from Cinevercity with Brett Bays.  You can learn everything you need from there.  Its a technical subject so your need to put aside a good few months to get it down for a basic rig with controllers.   If you have never rigged anything before you may want to start on something more basic, mini rigging sessions to get used to things like IK/FK. constraints, and basic animation knowledge.  Youtube has plenty on there, but Cinevercity has the more in depth step by step for the character rigging methods.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

i will check through youtube

• Topic Author
  • 18 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Additionally to what Dan has said, you should maybe note that Character Animation is one of the most complex things it is possible to do in 3D. To start there really is diving in at the deep end. Nearly everybody learns the simpler / more basic areas of the program first like modelling, texturing, lighting and rendering.

CBR

Thanks CBR 

Can you recommend tutorials to learn texturing and rendering?

8 minutes ago, dexterG said:

Thanks Dan.

i will check through youtube

When I get some time tomorrow Il put some links up.  For now you just need them basic mini tutorials that cover the essential tools such as the joint tool, mirror, naming tool, binding and weight painting, then later you can add controllers.  You could do all this on a basic object.  You could for instance make a pencil character and that could take you a long way as there is so much to cover.  My first experience of rigging was in XSI then 3DSMax, its was daunting to say the least.  In C4D its much easier to grasp but technical in either case.  If your modelling your own characters it would be good to post them up on the forum, to many jump into rigging with the worse meshes Iv ever seen and wonder why things are not going well.  If your trying to learn Uv mapping, and texturing still I would not recommend you start rigging yet. Complete a few characters from scratch to get the whole process done, then move onto rigging.

Dan

Well of course both these are such vast areas in themselves that no single tutorial could possibly cover everything, but these ones (Nos 6 & 7 particularly) are a good starting point...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl14dITOfjFVRm4bUDLY5mA/videos

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, Rectro said:

When I get some time tomorrow Il pu some links up.  For now you just need them basic mini tutorials that cover the essential tools such as the joint tool, mirror, naming tool, binding and weight painting, then later you can add controllers.  You could do all this on a basic object.  You could for instance make a pencil character and that could tke you a long way as there is so much to cover.  My first experience of rigging was in XSI then 3DSMax, its was daunting to say the least.  In C4D its much easier to grasp but technical in either case.  If your modelling your own characters it would be good to post them up on the forum, to many jump into rigging with the worse meshes Iv ever seen and wonder why things are not going well.

Dan

Great.

i'll be expecting the links from you and will take your advice on learning the basics 

Thanks

• Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Well of course both these are such vast areas in themselves that no single tutorial could possibly cover everything, but these ones (Nos 6 & 7 particularly) are a good starting point...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl14dITOfjFVRm4bUDLY5mA/videos

CBR

Wonderful.

let me get on this right away

Thanks