Sign in to follow this  
Pierre Tessier

Why is this shiny texture dotted ?

This happens often and I can't control it. I created a simple shinny texture and when I render it with the standard renderer (w/AO), it gives me a surface with dots or pixels, as shown. You can see it clearly on the grey metal box. The same thing happens when I use one of C4D's metal preset textures.  What creates that?  

Test2_0140.jpg

What is your aliasing set to in Render Settings ?

And if you are using mainly reflective materials, you should be using a reflectance workflow and Physical Render, which will produce generally better, faster and more controllable results.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • You can get a better ideal of what I mean on this render. 

Coil.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Anti-aliasing is set to Best (min 1X1, Max 4X4). What's a "reflectance workflow"? 

Just showing me a bigger picture doesn't help alas. We need to see every component of your materials, lighting and rendering settings - ie the scene file, with its materials in order to know what is causing this issue in your particular file.

Reflectance workflow is where you don't use standard lights, or the Colour / Diffuse channel of materials, but use base layers in reflectance and luminant geometry instead. This requires a different workflow to standard materials, and GI is more important here. This video explains all that.

CBR

Check your material preset for roughness parameter, if setting is not zero (anything above), material in render will be "noisy".

(or check if material contain some noice preset)