Sign in to follow this  
Jinnxx

Head to body connection

Hello, I think I've made a mistake, I'm not sure where exactly though. I first modeled a head, with high poly count, and now when I want to connect the head to a body I can't seem to know how exactly. is there anyway I can properly connect them together? 

Annotation.png

Hi.

When you model like this  its good to keep to even loops of polygons and take note of how many you have between the neck from the body to head. but in either case there are ways to reduce or add more polygons to make it fit.  In your case the polygon count is way too high, and If I intended to have it that high I would have welded the head on earlier in the low polygon modelling process before taking it to that polygon level.

So where to go from here? You can start by first selecting the polygon ring of edges and getting the stats for each the head side and body side at the neck edge.  Method 1 is  go to the lower part of the object manager then open (Mode) and select Project Info then the sub tab Selection.  Your see how many polygons are selected.  Method 2 which is better IMHO is to have this info show in the HUD.  Press Alt + V which will open the view port configuration.  In the HUD settings check on Selected Polygons, Edges, and Verts.  Next time you select polygons it will show in the top right of the View port.

Start to weld staring from the vert at the centre point of the neck at the front then work your way around.  Id need to look at model to know what id do depending how many edge differences there was between the two parts and how well they align up.

Dan

29 minutes ago, Jinnxx said:

It's bad, isn't it? 

Yeah, that is very much not ideal. Trying to lose (or gain) 60 polys from there is going to take a while to do manually and is bound to introduce some surface inconsistency that is likely to be visible in render. Do you not have any earlier saves from before you applied the SDS ? It will be so much faster and better to do this on the original low poly meshes.

Failing that, have you tried the unsubdivide command, available from the command prompt, Shift-C. I can't tell if you have it or not, because your version of Cinema is not in your profile. Please correct that.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • All this time I was working on the head model and then after I brought in the base body model from the library, I cut the head off, subdivided the body and brought it closer to the head, and just then I realized the problem. So I thought if there's a way I could make the body fit to the head, not the other way around. Like if I could add those 60 polygons to the body ones maybe. 

And unfortunately no, I don't have a saved low poly version of the head. 

With a 60 polygon different your end up having to add or reduce  one edge for every two edges  in order to reduce twisting, and even then your be forced to take same radical steps the further you get around as the twisting will get worse.  It will be a very bad compromise.  The only way Id move forward with this as a character would be to make sure there is a scarf covering this gap, or the clothing, maybe a hard surface neck ring accessory.  In either case to start to clean this mess up id merge head and body (your Uvs will be gone)  then delete one half by loop selecting the polygons next to the centre line edge for body and head.  This way your have half the work to do.  Your still run into the above issues regardless and it will take some time.  

I will try to run it thought Zbrush sub D reduction and see if it can do it.  I assume you have tried what CBR suggested?

Dan

• Topic Author
  • I think I will start over from the scratch. Thanks Dan, You've been most helpful. 

44 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah, that is very much not ideal. Trying to lose (or gain) 60 polys from there is going to take a while to do manually and is bound to introduce some surface inconsistency that is likely to be visible in render. Do you not have any earlier saves from before you applied the SDS ? It will be so much faster and better to do this on the original low poly meshes.

Failing that, have you tried the unsubdivide command, available from the command prompt, Shift-C. I can't tell if you have it or not, because your version of Cinema is not in your profile. Please correct that.

CBR

Unsubdevide command does work giving you 92 edges to the head, this leaves 28 poly difference.  If then he does as I suggested deleting half the body he will have half that at only 14 polygons to deal with.  I done this command after merging head and body.

PS: In either case its messy.  Deal with a 8 poly difference, I can hide that.

Dan

half half.jpg

After inverted SDS is still there difference in polycount of border loops...

inverted_SDS.thumb.png.1d181c829d40e6510bc44899f5ec361b.png

8 minutes ago, bezo said:

After inverted SDS is still there difference in polycount of border loops...

Yes we know that 🙂 We were only claiming that it is easier to work with fewer polys as given by unsubdivide / symmetry, rather than asserting that it would magically sort out the mismatch !

CBR