Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

PolyDup - looking for feedback

What I found interesting, Y axis in case of just single polygon always targeted to side where points in "local" space are higher then other. (or average values of more higher points)

hELO, WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD IT

• Topic Author
  • On 4/19/2020 at 2:39 AM, Quasar Engine said:

hELO, WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD IT

I have just finalized beta 3 for R20 and R21, both Windows and macOS. Link available in the first post.

• Topic Author
  • Probably not the smartest move to bring this out, while all attention is to the newly released S22, but here goes.

NEW in beta 3:

The original plugin allowed to copy and paste a single extract. With the latest version you have up to 5 slots to hold an extract.

Select a slot in the Attribute Manager to use. If the slot is empty you obviously can only use it to copy an extract into. Once a slot is filled you can then use it to paste/inject into your mesh.

The new version also allows to use selected edges around a hole in the mesh in order to paste the selected extract.

You do not need to be in edge mode to be able to use edges, nor do you have to be in polygon mode to use polygons. Although it helps in visualizing which edges or polygons are selected if you are in one or the other mode. For now, I do not limit to use edges or polygons to a particular mode. Depending feedback I might provide this limitation if it is more appropriate.

And as pictures tell more than many words, I have created a short video to demonstrate the process ...

...nice update Daniel, good job.

• Topic Author
  • Looking for feedback on the current state of the plugin.

Originally I had planned to provide selection tools as part of the plugin. But since you can simply use the native live-selection, loop-selection and fill-selection to do all the selection tasks I don't really see the point in duplicating these features.
    Besides, if you also have the Dials plugin it's easy to create a setup where you have all necessary tools grouped into a dial, accessible by a single shortcut.

An idea might be to provide an internal dial-like functionality to easily access the different extract slots, to paste from / copy to. Activating this dial via right mouse click.

I am not sure if the concept is clear of using the CTRL key (CMD on mac) to activate the copy functionality? An alternative idea I had was to hover over the selected polygons and use the CTRL-C or CTRL-V keystrokes to copy or paste. Without the need of a mouse click.

Next, I am not too happy about the identification of the extract slot. I wasn't sure people really wanted to spend time naming these extracts, as the whole purpose of the tool is to quickly perform a copy/paste of part of a mesh. Compare it with copy/paste a part of a sentence in a text editor to rearrange the wording ... or copying part of an image to in an image editor. You're not exactly naming the item you copy, also because you only have a single item in the clipboard. Here, with the possibility to have up to 5 items "in the clipboard", I thought it would make sense you could identify which of the slots of the clipboard you want to interact with. For now each slot is made up from the name of the object you are copying from, appended with the lowest point index of the part you are copying from. In most cases this would provide for unique names. Maybe a different color per slot might be easier to identify than using a name?

I also had thought of taking a screenshot of the part of the mesh being copied, to be used as a thumbnail. But displaying 5 thumbnails would probably take up too much space in the attribute manager.

And in the end, I am not even sure many users will want to use this tool for more than copy-pasting a single item in one session. As such, there is no need to identify things.

Suggestions welcome ...

• Topic Author
  • Spend some time working out to visualize a preview of the copied polygons to be injected into the mesh. More changes to come ...

nice addition